Honored Contributor

RETURNS what can you share?

[ Edited ]

Lately, I have been trying new methods of purchasing fashion and beauty items. 

Two years into retirement, I am beginning to make decisions regarding wardrobe needs.

Some (shopping channels not Q) have easy pay.

Have you ever felt that a seller purposely makes returns follow-up a hassle?

Checking my payment schedule is a hassle... it shows that payments are still due on items validated as returned??? So I will call them ... Hassle.

The same shopping channel (not Q) I applied to for their cc. This was a bad move on my part. Some items are shipped w/out a return label ("not eligible").  So I called to find out why ... Hassle

So, I will be cancelling that card...Hassle

and I have changed the cc for those purchases

Another two companies (not Q) give outstanding service. One has their own cc ... I will keep their card.

I am used to shopping with the Q. I trust them  and feel no need to micromanage my own returns. 

I have made choices as to how to manage my purchases. Please don't rake me over the coals for choosing these methods (like easy pay).

I need information regarding returns and what retailers are actually doing with my $$? Are they holding my returns and prolonging the time before actually crediting the $$?

Thank you for any information regarding returns.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Trusted Contributor

Re: RETURNS what can you share?

@LTT1 I used to trust QVC and didn't pay a lot of attention to my returns, until they didn't credit $150.00 for a pair of shoes I sent back.  By the time I noticed it there was nothing I could do.  Stupid mistake on my part.  Now I pay really close attention.  Maybe they actually didn't receive the package, but by then there was no way to investigate.  I still do a lot of shopping here, because they rarely make a mistake.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I buy less at QVC because of their shipping costs and return costs/policy.  I love Macy's.  I can usually get free shipping.  If I'm buying one item I'll add an inexpensive beauty item to get free shippping.  All beauty items are shipped free.  If I have to return something to Macy's I take it to the store - there are several near enough to me that it's not a hassle.

I also buy from LL Bean who has free shipping and free return shipping; same goes for Zappos and Nordstrom.  I love Lands End too - free shipping but they give you a return lable that costs $6.95.  If you return items from differrent orders it's still just $6.95.

By the way - I don't think $6.95 is an exhorbitant amount to pay for return shipping.  USPS and UPS aren't cheap.  

When I return anything thru the mail or UPS I get a receipt.  Even when using a return label.  How else are you going to prove that you actually returned it?

Honored Contributor

There is no company that does not make mistakes -  or if there is, I've never heard of it.

Since I charge practically everything I buy, I check my charges carefully even for companies I've dealt with successfully for a long time.  Doesn't matter whether it's $19.97 at Publix or $1997.00 at Norstrom, I check.

What surprises me is how few errors are made, not how many.  Sure, here on the forums we hear about errors, but given a million or more shipments a day, the percentage is tiny.  As long as human beings have to post info somehow, as long as man-made machines are involved, there will be errors.  I like my money, so I check.

The very worst place I've found, greatest number of errors, has nothing to do with buying online.  For me, the bottom on the accuracy list are the supermarkets.  Lots of errors a few cents or a few dollars can add up.  I never used to check carefully.  Now I do.

@LTT1I'm 16 years into retirement and still working to eliminate hassle.  I use no department store cards, no shopping channel cards.  Maybe I waste a few dollars that way, but I get more in ease and peace of mind, and I make it up by buying less.  I try to concern myself with big savings and that has worked well for me for the first half (I hope) of my retired life.

Honored Contributor

@luv-the-Q@FranandZoe@millieshops

Thank you all so much for your input.

@millieshops  I like the way you think and so I'm going to cancel the store cards that I'm using because for each one we receive a different statement.

The idea of getting a receipt helps... Even though one can get a tracking number it is confusing to me to match it up with the order number.

The companies that are giving "free returns" are not such a bargain for me if I must match my tracking numbers. 

Honored Contributor

To be honest, I don't think anyone should respond to this post.  If she isn't going to name the mystery shopping channels, how the check can you have any type of real conversation???????   Is she afraid the shopping channel (not Qvc) police will come to her house and arrest her if she names names....lol  

Honored Contributor

@luv-the-Q wrote:

@LTT1 I used to trust QVC and didn't pay a lot of attention to my returns, until they didn't credit $150.00 for a pair of shoes I sent back.  By the time I noticed it there was nothing I could do.  Stupid mistake on my part.  Now I pay really close attention.  Maybe they actually didn't receive the package, but by then there was no way to investigate.  I still do a lot of shopping here, because they rarely make a mistake.

This is why the return shipping is so expensive - it is INSURED. When you use that label it generates a tracking number as soon as it arrives at the post office. At our very small town PO she usually scans and gives me the tracking # while I am still there. If it doesn't arrive QVC still credits you and then collects on the insurance. If you choose to not use the QVC return label you don't get that protection.

Honored Contributor

@151949

I thought that the tracking number I get with every label I generate here at home does the same?

@chrystaltree

I don't like to knock anybody?

I guess you do not have anything constructive to share.

Honored Contributor

@LTT1 wrote:

@151949

I thought that the tracking number I get with every label I generate here at home does the same?

@chrystaltree

I don't like to knock anybody?

I guess you do not have anything constructive to share.

Only if you BUY the insurance - they don't insure packages for free.

Esteemed Contributor

@LTT1, I am lazy I guess. I don't have many returns, but when I do, I watch my order status to see if the item shows up here as "returned." I find it nearly impossible to match up a return to my credit card statement. I always check "refund my original form of payment" and check "email me when my return is received." 

Other sites are much easier to track because those ordered are once in a blue moon for any given site.

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop