Honored Contributor
CNN at 10pm ET
Trusted Contributor

Re: RBG DOCUMENTARY ON TONIGHT

Thank you for the heads up.  Got my dvr set.

Honored Contributor

It is really good. It was in the movie theaters and CNN has shown it before.
I like the film about her early career mentioned in the other thread but like this documentary better.
Trusted Contributor

thanx for mentioning it! i was hoping they’d have something about her. i’ll be watching.
Honored Contributor

I am watching it on Hulu right now and it is an excellent portrait of an amazing woman

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Esteemed Contributor

I have seen this before.  Highly recommend.  She was a very impressive woman, with an incredibly supportive husband.

Esteemed Contributor

Watching it - loving it. Thank you for the heads up 

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

It occurred to me last night while watching this again that, from what I saw of Scalia, his personalty seemed very similar to Marty's, so it would make sense that RBG would be drawn to him in friendship. Of course this comment is based on seeing just those few scenes of Marty and Scalia in the film, but that was my observation.
Esteemed Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:
It occurred to me last night while watching this again that, from what I saw of Scalia, his personalty seemed very similar to Marty's, so it would make sense that RBG would be drawn to him in friendship. Of course this comment is based on seeing just those few scenes of Marty and Scalia in the film, but that was my observation.

From my lmited knowledge, which does extend beyond watching a documentary, the only similarities between Martin Ginsburg and Justice Scalia are that they both graduated from Harvard Law School (Ginsburg in 1958 and Scalia in 1960) and that they both married Ivy League wives.

While Martin Ginsburg was a very successful attorney in private pratice, he co-parented with Justice Ginsburg while she went to law school and pursued a very successful legal career.  He was the family cook, and advocated for his wife's legal career.  Meanwhile, Justice Scalia proudly admitted that he didn't attend their nine children's sporting events or piano recitals.  That was the role of his wife.  He was busy pursuing his own polical career and appointments.

I believe their frienship stemmed from their being colleagues prior to joining the Supreme Court, Justice Scalia in 1986 and Justice Ginsburg in 1993.

They had both worked in the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit (Ginsburg 1980-1993 and Scalia 1982-1986).

Justices Ginsburg and Scalia loved opera, and according to many, including Justice Scalia's children, Martin Ginsburg was a great cook and Justice Scalia was a great eater.

I heard Justice Ginsburg explain her frienship with Scalia, in response to a direct question during a legal conference, by quoting her mother in law's advice, that, in life, it sometimes helps to be a little deaf.

Honored Contributor

Well @NYCLatinaMe. If you read the separate thread posted by Goldie76, which she posted after I posted my thoughts above about the friendship, Scalia's son confirmed my theory.