Trusted Contributor

A procession of flashing lights went past Rocco’s handler’s home before eventually making it to the cemetery.

Rocco was an 8-year-old German Shepard who was stabbed Tuesday night in a basement in Lawrenceville.

Police say convicted s5x offender, 21-year-old John Rush, stabbed him with a six-inch knife.

Rocco lost a kidney and his spine was damaged.

He appeared to be doing better Thursday morning, according to Dr. Julie Compton, who said Rocco recognized his handler, Officer Phil Lerza.

But the dog took a turn in the afternoon, developing pneumonia and more bleeding.

Despite surgeries and transfusions and prayers, Cmdr. Eric Holmes says Rocco passed away naturally at 6:17 p.m.

There were tears and hugs Thursday night. People placed flowers outside

Jessa
Valued Contributor

Godspeed Rocco. And prayers going out to Officer Phil Lerza.

you may have to cut and paste, but here is a link to the story:

http://www.post-gazette.com/local/city/2014/01/30/Pittsburgh-police-dog-Rocco-shows-improvement-afte...

Super Contributor

So sad.

I'd like to jab a 6"" knife into the low-life scum who killed him and give it a few extra twists.

Contributor

I live in Pittsburgh and this is such a sad,sad story. All this over a piece of trash who should have never been on the streets. God bless Officer Lezra and his family but most of all RIP Rocco.

Trusted Contributor
On 1/31/2014 Sheltie Mom said:

http://www.post-gazette.com/local/city/2014/01/30/Pittsburgh-police-dog-Rocco-shows-improvement-afte...

Thank you Sheltie Mom , I didn't know how to post the link

Jessa
Esteemed Contributor
On 1/31/2014 Indy-Blonde2 said:

So sad.

I'd like to jab a 6"" knife into the low-life scum who killed him and give it a few extra twists.

Agree!

Don't cry for a man who's left you--the next one may fall for your smile.
-- Mae West
Esteemed Contributor
On 1/31/2014 JESSA said:
On 1/31/2014 Sheltie Mom said:

Thank you Sheltie Mom , I didn't know how to post the link

Rocco is in a better place and NO ONE can ever hurt him again! I hope the scumbag will be jailed, maybe the death sentence??

Don't cry for a man who's left you--the next one may fall for your smile.
-- Mae West
Respected Contributor

I am crying as I read this. There's a special place in h**l for that criminal. I know that God welcomed ROCCO into Heaven at rainbow bridge. May God bless Officer Lerza, his family and everyone who loved ROCCO! (((((ROCCO and Officer Lerza))))))!

I'm not short...I'm fun size!
Frequent Contributor
On 1/31/2014 Indy-Blonde2 said:

So sad. {#emotions_dlg.crying}

I'd like to jab a 6" knife into the low-life scum who killed him and give it a few extra twists.

I would be happy to help you with that, Indy-Blonde2! {#emotions_dlg.angry} Rocco's in a better place now, but oh, the low-life that did this, may he have it come back on him a thousand fold!