Honored Contributor

Re: Quilt or Comforter?

[ Edited ]

@Moonchilde wrote:

Thanks for your input, ladies.

I agree that quilts are easier to wash and care for. Comforters are a PITA to wash & dry.

I could, I suppose, use a comforter under the quilt in cold weather. I also have space issues; I live with others and have one SMALL closet - no room for extra blankets, comforters, etc. so I can't just exchange things from a nice-sized linen closet :-(

@Moonchilde:

A merino (or other non-itchy) wool blanket takes care of that nicely, and without bulk - on the bed or in the closet.  8)

Honored Contributor

@DiAnne wrote:

@luv-the-Q

Matelasse bedspreads are on every bed in my house.  Love that they are easily washed and dried.  I use cotton sheets and bedspread in the summer.  In the winter I use fleece sheets and add a lightweight blanket under the bedspread and it is perfect.  

I'm a fan of some matelasse, in 100% cotton coverlet form.

Honored Contributor

@Blahblahvampemer wrote:

Neither.  Now I'm using a Turkish throw that's just heavy enough to not feel the ceiling fan if I have it running.  In the winter I'll go with my cheap plush throw from 

Wal Mart.  I'm still on the hunt for the perfect blanket, but a large throw/twin works for the time being.

If a throw is actually a rectangle and oversized, this is one of the ways I save money since I have a twin mattress.

I look for 'em in cotton, wool, and down.  

Honored Contributor

@Nightowlz wrote:

We never use the comforter to cover up with. I fold it down on the foot board.

We use a lightweight cotton blanket in the summer & an electric blanket in the winter.

I have had a comforter with shams plus throw pillows forever. I finally got tired of folding it down every night plus stacking up all the pillows. I hated making the bed since it's king size the comforter is heavy. 

I just bought a quilt with shams plus curtains. I already bought new flannel sheets last winter, bamboo sheets & Egyptian cotton blanket a few months ago. I love the quilt so much better. It's not heavy & don't have to deal with the throw pillows. The quilt is also reversible when I get tired of it.

l'm all for anything that makes my life easier.

Yaaaas.  8)

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]
@Moonchilde wrote:

Thanks, @Citrine1 😀

Here I was all excited to get it, and it won't ship until mid September and won't arrive til the beginning of October! And the shipping costing and arm and a leg at that. Fingers crossed it's as stunning as the photo.

Most items of every kind - including clothing - are more vibrant in-person.

I speak from a lot of online buying experience.

(for the last 8 years, most of my shopping has been through cyberspace since I'm without a vehicle)

So I've become pretty decent at all things Internet, LOL.

Very thankfully, though.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@catwhisperer wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

Thank you, @catwhisperer. Despite not being a quilt person the pull of the print was stronger than my hesitation. My niece will be pleased as she IS a quilt person and thought I should get it when I first showed it to her :-)

@Moonchilde...I really love the colors and you did the right thing going with your gut and getting it. Smiley Happy  I am actually an old school bedspread person. I cannot sleep with any kind of weight on top of me, even in winter. Quilts and comforters are too heavy for me to handle anymore. No one seems to carry bedspreads much anymore. I keep looking online for a light weight one, but no luck yet. I'll keep looking. 

I also have to take into consideration that I need something easy to wash, as I have two felines that love my bed.Cat Tongue

@catwhisperer:

Vermont Country Store, Plow & Hearth, Orvis, LinenSource, and FreshFinds usually have 100% cotton seersucker bedspreads online.

As in little pockets of air that help keep you cooler.  Cat Very Happy

Something I strive for year-round, LOL.

You can also Google-search for them.

Respected Contributor

@feline groovy...Thanks! I will look them up.

I promise to remind myself every day that I am strong, courageous, and resilient.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

plus LinenSource and FreshFinds online, @catwhisperer.  ;-)

Respected Contributor

@feline groovy wrote:

@feline groovy...Thank you! That sage seersucker spread from Orvis caught my attention. I like the fact that it is a light weight, year round spread. It would be easy for me to wash. I have to go up and down stairs to get to the laundry room in our bldg., so another reason why I like light weight item.

I promise to remind myself every day that I am strong, courageous, and resilient.
Honored Contributor

@catwhisperer wrote:

@feline groovy wrote:

@feline groovy...Thank you! That sage seersucker spread from Orvis caught my attention. I like the fact that it is a light weight, year round spread. It would be easy for me to wash. I have to go up and down stairs to get to the laundry room in our bldg., so another reason why I like light weight item.

@catwhisperer:

Awesome!

Hope that seersucker works out for you.

Maybe it'll even help keep the kitties cooler.  ;-)