Trusted Contributor

@giddy up That's exactly how I've found most of the bedspreads I have.  A couple of the old 60's bedspreads were still in the original package and had never been used.  I love them and when I see one on eBay or Etsy that I like, I buy it.  Some, I found at estate sales and they never seem to wear out.

Honored Contributor

@hopi wrote:

Used to dislike the look of quilts but now I only want 100 cotton anything on my bed.  The look of quilts are so exciting nowadays and almost no comforters have 100 cotton backing anymore.  My bed is king size and I love my bedding washed  not dry cleaned.

GET the quilt

@hopi  I hadn't really paid attention.  I guess I should consider myself lucky that my quilt is 100% cotton, top and back.

Trusted Contributor

@Moonchilde I love it!! 

Honored Contributor

See below this post, @Lori Kaye :-)

I love jewel tones. I had my (clothing & makeup) colors done in the 70s and I'm a jewel tone girl. I also love purple. This quilt looks very cheerful!

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

Re: Quilt or Comforter?

[ Edited ]

@giddy up wrote:

Neither for me.  I like a regular bedspread.  I have always slept with 100% acrylic blankets.  They are hard to find now.  But I have made some awesome finds on ebay over the last year.   All brand new never used, mind you, but a couple of them were literally 40 years old in original packaging.  Now I have more than I could ever use for the rest of my life.   That won't stop me from purchasing a special color if it shows up, ha ha.

Bedspreads for me too-- I also use acrylic blankets-- found some from Macy's Charter Club brand and on our Queen sized bed we used a King sized blanket. The same for a full sized bed -- we used a Queen sized blanket. These blankets have the satin trim on the edges too.

It's harder and harder to find bedspreads and I've had luck from JCP.  Many stores like Kohl's, Bed Bath & Beyond and Macy's only carry comforters or the bed in a bag linens. I have one quilt but I do like throws too -- some match the bedspread and some don't. For extra warmth in the winter, we use a few of the Dennis Basso throws between the spread and the blanket. I've found over the years that the quilted threaded bedspreads with filling have gotten thinner over the years and the same has happened with blankets-- also gotten thinner instead of a nice thick blanket (like we had growing up).

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

Google "Jewel Garden quilt."

The catalogs that sell it are Country Door, Ginny's, Montgomery Ward, Midnight Velvet and Monroe and Main.

Monkey Ward is $5 cheaper than Country Door.

Honored Contributor

Thank you, @catwhisperer. Despite not being a quilt person the pull of the print was stronger than my hesitation. My niece will be pleased as she IS a quilt person and thought I should get it when I first showed it to her :-)

Honored Contributor

Re: Quilt or Comforter?

[ Edited ]

@luv-the-Q

Matelasse bedspreads are on every bed in my house.  Love that they are easily washed and dried.  I use cotton sheets and bedspread in the summer.  In the winter I use fleece sheets and add a lightweight blanket under the bedspread and it is perfect.  

Trusted Contributor

Neither.  Now I'm using a Turkish throw that's just heavy enough to not feel the ceiling fan if I have it running.  In the winter I'll go with my cheap plush throw from 

Wal Mart.  I'm still on the hunt for the perfect blanket, but a large throw/twin works for the time being.

Read it! New England Journal of Medicine—May 21, 2020
Universal Masking in Hospitals in the Covid-19 Era

“We know that wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection.
Respected Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

Thank you, @catwhisperer. Despite not being a quilt person the pull of the print was stronger than my hesitation. My niece will be pleased as she IS a quilt person and thought I should get it when I first showed it to her :-)

@Moonchilde...I really love the colors and you did the right thing going with your gut and getting it. Smiley Happy  I am actually an old school bedspread person. I cannot sleep with any kind of weight on top of me, even in winter. Quilts and comforters are too heavy for me to handle anymore. No one seems to carry bedspreads much anymore. I keep looking online for a light weight one, but no luck yet. I'll keep looking. 

I also have to take into consideration that I need something easy to wash, as I have two felines that love my bed.Cat Tongue

I promise to remind myself every day that I am strong, courageous, and resilient.