Frequent Contributor

I hope that I am posting this in the right place but if not, mods please move it to the correct one for me.

I was wondering if there is a specific list of words that is NOT allowable on these forums? I have read the community posting standards rules but it seems like there is a fine line here between what can be said and what cannot be said as far as certain keywords or phrases. I have had a few posts go 'POOF' and had to redo them over because I am assuming that I used a word/keyword that was not acceptable?..I don't know for sure, just guessing..

I need to know what words are acceptable to use and which ones are not because everything has changed here compared to what it was a long time back. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!  

Honored Contributor

@AngelWhispers.  When your post is removed, there is usually an explanation. Like, inappropriate, Argumentative, etc. If it's a word not allowed, the system usually puts **** in part of the word.

I don't think there is a list of words. If a post is removed, you shouldn't repost as that is against standards.

Frequent Contributor

Thanks! @proudlyfromNJ I never received anything like that but I did see a message saying that my post contained HTML or something like that when in fact it didn't so I don't know what is going on. It could be my browser (I am using Opera) but I made a post yesterday and it said ''success that it was posted" but then later on when I went back it was not there at all so I just retyped another post. That one is still there today so I have no idea what happened.. Smiley EmbarassedCould just be a glitch!

Honored Contributor

@AngelWhispers.  Oh, looks like something technical maybe. If it happens again you could email the mods.

Esteemed Contributor

The computer will automatically pick up on key words in a post and censor them.

For example, a common one here is the actor comedian D i c k van D y k e, which the computer will convert to ****** van ****** when your post is printed.

I think when a post is poofed it's more about how

you use your words than the words themselves.

Humor doesn't translate well here and can be mistaken for being mean spirited.

Some things read as sarcastic when they were meant to be ironic humor.

And posts are poofed for being "argumentative", which means disagreement that contains an element of anger, when there is no anger involved.

It just happens.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Questions about posting

[ Edited ]

@AngelWhispers,

When you make a general reply to a thread always use the red reply button at the top left of the thread.

When you reply to a particular post in the thread use the reply button in that person's post.

Here's why:

If you use the reply button within a post, and that post is later poofed by the mods, your post is linked to it and will poof right along with it.

That may be what happened to you.

Also it's a courtesy to fellow posters to use the reply at the top of the thread if you're not directing your post to them, because using their individual reply button seems to lock up their post so they cannot edit it.

You'd use their individual reply button only when replying to that post or poster.

You message about your post containing HTML is something I frequently see also.

Its this website, not you. I consider it to be one of the functional inadequacies of this website.

Always use the Preview before you post. That'll help you find the HTML.

Frequent Contributor

@x Hedge Thanks so much for that information! Yeah that is what I have been doing when replying to a person's post but I didn't even notice the reply button at the top of the page for the thread. Gosh, I cant believe I never saw that before.. Guess I was overlooking it! Thanks for pointing that out for me.

My posts are never mean or argumentative however things that were meant as compliments or encouragement have gotten taken out of context and taken negatively. I am certainly not a person to offend anyone. But I do understand that sometimes things get taken the wrong way. It's a shame that what someone else may interpret as argumentative or sarcastic or mean spirited was never meant that way to begin with. Boy it is a tough world that we live in nowadays!

Honored Contributor

@AngelWhispers, I often cut and paste from something online and post it here. When I do that, I will get that HTML note and my post turns a color, I think pink.

But all you have to is click "post" again,  and it will go through.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Frequent Contributor

@suzyQ3 

Thanks! you know I was just making a post a little bit ago and I got that crazy, HTML warning again. I said what? I had not copied or pasted anything but instead typed out a post as I am doing here so I have no idea what is up with that unless it is from using those darn smileys?!

Honored Contributor

Re: Questions about posting

[ Edited ]

@AngelWhispers

If you see a note saying it contains HTML that means you copied and pasted parts of an article or copy and pasted a photo that containd some programming that wasnt valid . All you have to do if you see that messag is just hit post......the invalid part was removed and it's ready to be posted. This is what you are seeing:

Your post has been changed because invalid HTML was found in the message body. The invalid HTML has been removed. Please review the message and submit the message when you are satisfied.

.This isnt against the rules as long as the article, link, or photo meets all the other guidelines such as it can't be political, controversial, or risque etc........Also it cannot be an add or promoting a sale for another website.......

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”