Esteemed Contributor

Questions about Kindle Fire?

If you have the Kindle Fire can you tell me if you are able to view Netflix movies on it? I read online that some people can and some people cant, and they had trouble doing so.

Also I guess you cant use any apps from the google store either? I assume its controlled by Amazons apps. Yes?

Lastly, what about Facebook? You Tube? Email via the Kindle Fire?

The reason I ask is, I am thinking of getting a Kindle Fire and I will use it for books but Id like to use it for the above also "on occassion". (I have the first Kindle and it doesn't do what the new Fires supposedly do).

I will check back then for replies. Thanks!

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Questions about Kindle Fire?

[ Edited ]

I have both an iPad and a kindle HDX Fire. You can do anything on both; you just need to download the appropriate app first. I use my iPad on a daily basis. Since many more people have iPads, I've always found it easier to use it - as its always easy to get help (kind of like driving a Ford instead of an exotic sports car.....anybody can work on a Ford if it breaks down, etc.). Truthfully, I personally like the Fire better....I think it's more intuitive than the iPad. Both, however, are excellent products and you will not go wrong with either one.

Honored Contributor

My kindle is a couple years old.  I can do just about anything on it, but I don't have netflex.  My mother just bought the newest version and she uses Netflix on hers.  Love my kindle.  Don't know how I lived without it.

Respected Contributor

As the others said, you can do Facebook, Netflix and about anything else.  You can't get apps from the google store, but the Amazon store has lots of apps that google has.   It has the important ones such as Candy Crush (LOL), Facebook, Netflix, weather, Words With Friends, etc.

Esteemed Contributor

I have an older one and just upgraded.  It  should arrive shortly.  Yes, to all your questions.  Love, love, love it and the price is right.  And customer service second to none.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Love my Kindle Fire, couldn't live without it.  I have three now, the original and one that I keep in my tote bag and one that I keep on the end table beside my chair.  You get your apps from Amazon, not Google.  Yes, you have FB, Youtube and all the that  

stuff.  I do have Netflix.  Don't forget there is a difference between Kindles and Kindle Fire.  I know people love their IPads but I wouldn't take one if someone gave me one for free.  I have everything I need or want in a tablet now.   You can go to Amazon and look up all the features.  I think kindle is incredibly user friendly, there isn't much to learn.  Open the box, register it and have fun.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Goldengate8361 wrote:

I have both an iPad and a kindle HDX Fire. You can do anything on both; you just need to download the appropriate app first. I use my iPad on a daily basis. Since many more people have iPads, I've always found it easier to use it - as its always easy to get help (kind of like driving a Ford instead of an exotic sports car.....anybody can work on a Ford if it breaks down, etc.). Truthfully, I personally like the Fire better....I think it's more intuitive than the iPad. Both, however, are excellent products and you will not go wrong with either one.

@Goldengate8361Your post is confusing to me.  You use your IPad ona daily basis and it is easier to use but you like the Fire better?

If you like the Fire better, why do you use your IPad on a daily basis and not the Fire?

You gave the example of a car breaking down, but my Kindle never breaks down nor does it need worked on.

Just confused.  If you can explain I'd appreciate it.  The reason I was interested is that my friend is always bragging that SHE HAS an IPAD like it is superior to my poor little Kindle Fire HDX.  I just like knowing why you prefer which device.  I am always made to feel I'm missing out on something (by my friend), but I don't think I am.  Thanks!

Honored Contributor

If there's an app you absolutely want on the Kindle Fire that's not available in the Amazon store you can sideload it from the Google Play Store. It's a tick more complicated, but generally works fine. The sideloaded apps won't update automatically so you'll have to manually update sideloaded apps. Just Google "sideloading apps on a Kindle Fire" and you can find both articles and videos detailing the process.

Anyone interested in a Kindle Fire and who is a Prime member might want to wait until the twelfth and the next Prime Day. I bought my newest Fire last year on Prime Day and saved a lot.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

This is a bit OT. I like Android tablets and smartphones.  I found a Samsung 8" S2 on Amazon for $299 this morning. This is a 32GB tablet running Android 6.0. The price is very nice. This tablet can to market April 2016.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have the latest model of the Amazon Fire 7 tablet that retails for $49.99 on Amazon.  Amazon has its own app store called Amazon Underground. Their store does not have all the apps that Apple or Google Play has...for example Kohl's and a local news channel that I enjoy, but I can use the browser (Silk) to go the websites. The apps also don't update frequently, and there is no way to update them unless Amazon is offering the update.

If you have a Netflix subscription, you can download the Netflix app and watch shows and movies on it.  You can use your email provider with their email app as well as get the common apps like FB, YouTube, etc.

I like this tablet for a reader (the size is great for that purpose), and that is about it. There is no easy way to turn wi-fi off and on unless you use the airplane mode. I actually downloaded an app that I can use to quickly turn wi-fi on and off. I find the tablet to be PAINFULLY slow. I also find the color to be muted, and there is no way to change the color contrast or bump it up. Another thing that I don't like is that it doesn't have voice recognition. So if you're used to speaking a search term or dictating a Facebook private message or email or anything for that matter, you are out of luck. I knew that when I bought it but did not realize how much I use voice recognition.

I finally sideloaded Google Play to get a bit more functionality out of it, but I have had to customize this tablet so much, that I most likely will not buy another Fire tablet.

I would think that the more expensive Fire tablets would have a better display and faster speed, but unless you sideload Google Play, you're still dealing with limited apps.

I have the LePan Android tablet from QVC, and it has been a good one. It is much faster than the Fire, works well, and the color is very nice on it. If it ever comes out with a new OS, I will probably buy another. The current OS is 4.2 Jellybean, and some apps won't work with that OS. Also, for safety reasons, I prefer a newer OS.

I also have an iPad mini 4. It is the BMW of all my tablets. I love, love, love it!  The color display is amazing, the speed incredible, and the touch screen so responsive. I'm sure there's an Android tablet out there somewhere that is comparable in quality, but I'm telling you that unless you've had an Apple tablet, you don't know what you are missing...in my opinion.  I have the newest version, and it was only $299 at Best Buy.  This special price does repeat from time-to-time, so keep your eye on the website if interested.  It has 16gb of internal storage, which is plenty for me, but you can purchase the mini with more gb of storage.

I have a lot of tablets, because I keep them iin different rooms of the house and use them for different things.