Esteemed Contributor

Re: Question for those that sew

The easiest way for a novice seamstress is to do your seams before you sew up sides of bag. Do not attach the sides above the seam that is closest to bottom of bag.  That way you can run a piece of ribbon thru each side only, then gather each side.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

@patbz 

I was thinking the same thing, but I didn't know how to explain it to a beginner. I'm still not sure this is clear enough. 

@ccassaday , she means to sew the casing for the drawstring first, and the side seams last, but stop sewing when you get to the stitching that forms the casing. Your casing will then be open on both sides. 

@patbz wrote:

The easiest way for a novice seamstress is to do your seams before you sew up sides of bag. Do not attach the sides above the seam that is closest to bottom of bag.  That way you can run a piece of ribbon thru each side only, then gather each side.

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Esteemed Contributor

Getting such a kick out of this assortment of ideas.  Finally a concept we can cope with, unlike so much else today.

Love ya!

Esteemed Contributor

@shoesnbags wrote:

@patbz 

I was thinking the same thing, but I didn't know how to explain it to a beginner. I'm still not sure this is clear enough. 

@ccassaday , she means to sew the casing for the drawstring first, and the side seams last, but stop sewing when you get to the stitching that forms the casing. Your casing will then be open on both sides. 

@patbz wrote:

Yeah I figured that. I pinned the casings yesterday. My mom will sew it today. I used two pieces but it might be easier to use one long piece so I don’t have to sew the bottom.