Super Contributor

My husband and I have owned rental properties for many years. In the past I have had the tenant screening done by a property management company. Now I have to do it myself and I have looked into both Cozy.com and Zillow.com. Both sites want my Social Security number so they can verify who I am before I look at the prospective tenants application and screening info. I would like to find a screening site that  does not require my SSN.

I am looking for responses from others who have dealt with tenant screening companies. 

Please do not reply to warn me about giving out my SSN. 

Honored Contributor

@Flika13 Just a thought: Do you know any other landlords from who you could get feedback? Is there any kind of landlord association you can look for on line to check with somebody there?

Respected Contributor

Back when my family owned rentals (we no longer do the aggravation is not worth it) my father had a local company that he paid to conduct the background/credit history for potential tenants. The agency vetted my fathers business was an actual business and from there we paid this company to handle obtaining of tenant info.

If I remember correctly this company did this type of service for various types of companies that needed background history such as driving records, criminal checks, etc

Honored Contributor

I wouldn't trust such a company if they didn't verify me. They would be inviting all sorts of stalkers and criminals to use them. You should not be giving tenants' information to any company that is not rock solid and secure. You could get into trouble yourself.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Super Contributor

Re: Question for landlords

[ Edited ]

@Abrowneyegirl wrote:

Back when my family owned rentals (we no longer do the aggravation is not worth it) my father had a local company that he paid to conduct the background/credit history for potential tenants. The agency vetted my fathers business was an actual business and from there we paid this company to handle obtaining of tenant info.

If I remember correctly this company did this type of service for various types of companies that needed background history such as driving records, criminal checks, etc

We have owned properties for 35 years and I am almost done!  Too many rules. Emotional support animals? Really? All pets are for emotional support!! 

Honored Contributor

My brother owns rental property.  He has a local realtor do the tenant screenings and run the credit histories.  

Honored Contributor

One of my friends who retired about a year ago, that is what she did.

She worked for a large Real Estate Company, and she managed their Rental Properties. So she was the middle man. She listed the properties, did the showings, and the Real Estate Co. did the credit and background checks. So maybe you could check with a Real Estate Company..

Respected Contributor

Why do you want to stop doing background checks yourself?   It may be the best way to handle this part of being a rental property owner.  Do you have a large number of properties and it's just become burdensome?

You can always hire a property management company to handle everything.  If you still want the job, perhaps a local management company can do the tenant background research for a fee, of course!  

Esteemed Contributor

I would never find a company on-line. Best to find a local realtor who specializes in handling rental properties. I prefer to check out people in person - not look at a website. Check out yelp; call local real estate offices to get advice. If ur on nextdoor dot com, ask ur neighbors.

Respected Contributor

Re: Question for landlords

[ Edited ]

Residential real estate rentals are challenging.  I don't know what would be best for you as we got out of that segment long ago.  We do have one residential rental left and we sure got lucky on that one. The tenants are long term and great. BUT once in the past we got taken advantage of because we believed the bologna a tenant gave us.  

Is it possible for you to seek info/recommendations from other folks you personally know who own similar residential rentals in the area where yours are located?  I think I'd put more credence in the opinions from others you know who are in the same business before I'd settle on a screening company online.  JMHO