Honored Contributor

Re: Question about late guests

I like 2 times with my invitations if I possibly can.  First time for appetizers and mingling followed by dinner served PROMPTLY at 6 (or whatever) and no, I wouldn't wait for latecomers and wouldn't feel a twinge of guilt for repeated late-comers although I would make probably make a phone call if someone usually on time hadn't shown up while the rest of us were enjoying appetizers.

Trusted Contributor

People who show up late to dinner functions probably show up late to pretty much everything.  My biggest pet peeve are people who show up late at the movie theatre.  Once the movie starts people come in and stand in front of others trying to find a seat and even use the light on their cell phones to find them.  Seems like it is happening more and more frequently.

Honored Contributor

There is always one family member that is always late. He does live over an hour away. But he lives by his own rules.

We used to always wait for him and his 2 children. It was always large family gatherings. So he was ruining the meal for 35+ people.  But after years of waiting, we started to eat without him. And he would make snaky remarks about the food choices that he had. 

Then one year, the host decided to tell this always late family member that the dinner was 2 hours before it really was. Well, the always late family member was not late this time. He showed up on time - before the dinner and most guests were ready. He let the host have it. How could he be treated like that. It was the last family gathering.

My take - you can't win. Whatever you try.

Trusted Contributor

Anytime you accommodate bad behavior you encourage and reinforce said bad behavior.

Esteemed Contributor

I serve dinner at the appointed time, unless for some reason it is not ready.  I feel that when people are habitually late that they are trying to control everyone else, especially when given the opportunity to have others wait for them to arrive.   If family or guests arrive late and we are finished, there is always dessert.  If they really want to eat with us, then the next time they will be on time.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Esteemed Contributor

When my mom served Sunday dinner it was at a specified time. Never fail, my SIL would show up late every time. My mom would be seething - finally, she decided one time to serve dinner at the appointed time and if you were there you ate with the family. If not, you were pretty much on your own.

Respected Contributor

I would tell them pointblank that I was serving dinner at a certain time and they were expected to be on time. It seems really simple to me.

Respected Contributor

if they were the only guests i would wait.

otherwise, not serving at stated time is rude to the rest of the guests.  

if the meal is still ongoing when they arrive, i would welcome them to the table.

if the meal is finished when they finally arrive, i would welcome them to left overs.

~~who/what is responsible for your joy? YOU!~~
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Have brochures (on the coffee table) of the restaurants near by, for chronic guests that are late.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@TheMemphisVettewrote:

if they were the only guests i would wait.

otherwise, not serving at stated time is rude to the rest of the guests.  

if the meal is still ongoing when they arrive, i would welcome them to the table.

if the meal is finished when they finally arrive, i would welcome them to left overs.

ITA if they were the only guests. (When they would have got there, I would be at my second +  helping).