Respected Contributor

Re: Question about late guests

I agree with those who said to start without them. In our ladies' brunch group, hosted by a different friend every month, one friend arrived late. Very late. Always. And with a dramatic flurry of excuses and stories. Finally, after months of this, we started our brunches without her. She was surprised and a bit offended. We would just tell her to grab a plate and join us. She wasn't happy. After she arrived once after that just as the event was breaking up, we stopped inviting her, period. 

Respected Contributor

If they are consistently late, I would do what you did. Go ahead and eat with the rest of your guests.

Honored Contributor

Being habitually late, while expecting others to wait for you, is the ultimate ego trip and a very bad habit.  I wouldnt wait on them.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Not trying to be snide or anything........but maybe they just don't like your cooking.     (I grew up in a very different household than any of my friends.....we ate "ethnic"......ya know, sauerkraut and all "that stuff").

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

1. I agree with everyone who said...eat when dinner is ready and let the Lateners eat the cold food or direct them to the microwave.They might show up on time next invitation if they didn’t enjoy microwave reheats.
Respected Contributor

maybe they just want to come for dessert and coffee.  Do they want to eat a full meal when they come late?

Respected Contributor

I love sauerkraut wish my husband did. He is Italian. I will go anywhere so I don't have to cook & I don't complain. I just think these people are just plain rude. She did say no kids & live close by so no excuse. Maybe these people like to make a grand entrance some people love attention like that. Plus I would give you a good host gift too. Invite me next time. I would even help out & clean up. 

Honored Contributor

begin dinner with out the late person(s). 

Honored Contributor

We always start without them. That’s what microwave ovens are for. They can reheat their own food too.

Honored Contributor

My girlfriend has a HUGE family......so she just puts out a buffet.   The guests can eat.....or not.

♥Surface of the Sun♥