Respected Contributor

Re: Question about genetics, and hair color/type

I hope you like blonds...........because red is the rarest of them all, double recessive..............................raven

We're not in Kansas anymore ToTo
Respected Contributor

my dad had carrot red hair and light blue eyes

my mom was a brunette with brown eyes

all 4 kids had light brown hair with blue/green eyes

all siblings children had light hair and light eyes except for the last child #7 who is a redhead. I think I had twin cousins on my dad's side that had red hair.

Honored Contributor

Red hair is very recessive. Only two people in my very large family have it...and they have the brightest red hair possible! Yes, they get lots of questions as to where it came from.

Honored Contributor

I've never heard of 'tow head' before, it sounds offensive!! What does it mean?

Any ways, my dad was blonde until he was in his thirties and then it became chocolate brown.

My one son had long blonde hair, real thick and beautiful. My husband took him for a 'little boy' haircut and he came home with brown hair. (It was dark underneath.) Never saw a blonde hair again.

My husband was born a blonde, but it gradually turned brown and is now black (his dad always had black hair). His moustache turned gray, but his hair didn't at all. So he shaved off his moustache!

Super Contributor

On 8/13/2014 Lucky Charm said:

I've never heard of 'tow head' before, it sounds offensive!! What does it mean?

Any ways, my dad was blonde until he was in his thirties and then it became chocolate brown.

My one son had long blonde hair, real thick and beautiful. My husband took him for a 'little boy' haircut and he came home with brown hair. (It was dark underneath.) Never saw a blonde hair again.

My husband was born a blonde, but it gradually turned brown and is now black (his dad always had black hair). His moustache turned gray, but his hair didn't at all. So he shaved off his moustache!

I assure you, "towheaded" is not an offensive term...It means very light or even white blonde.. I am sure its in the dictionary- I certainly didn't make it up!!LOL!

Honored Contributor

I would never take ""towheaded"" to be a derogatory term. And it did fit me when I was a child. Nothing wrong with it.

Super Contributor

My nephew has medium brown hair ... his wife has light brown hair. Both have straight hair.

Their two kids have bright red hair ... very straight. No one in either of the families have red hair.

Valued Contributor

I forgot about eye color---Mr S has light blue eyes, one son has green, two have blue, I have brown round eyes and my daughter has slanty (sort of) and they are brown too-----we are really a mixed bunch. Smiley Happy)
Honored Contributor

Oh no!! I'm not saying it's a derogatory term, it just sound funny. Pronounced 'toe' head? I dunno it just doesn't sound right. I've never heard that used before.

Honored Contributor

DOMINANT AND RECESSIVE CHARACTERISTICS

Eye coloring:

brown eyes over grey, green, hazel, & blue eyes

Vision:

farsightedness over normal vision

normal vision over nearsightedness, night blindness, & color blindness

Hair:

dark hair over blonde, light, & red hair

non-red hair over red hair

curly hair over straight hair

full head of hair over baldness

widow's peak over normal hairline

Facial features:

dimples over non dimples

unattached earlobes over attached earlobes

freckles over no freckles

broad lips over thin lips

Fascinating stuff, and I hope it helps. Smile

Congrats on the grandbaby, B&B, and wouldn't it be cool if her hair eventually 'settles' at strawberry-blonde and wavy, right in the middle between her parents? Kiss