Honored Contributor

Question about bleach and marijuana

I have no idea where to put this, but this board is a wealth of information and I can't find anything except meth info on internet.  We rented out a house in a different city.  When DH went to clean the place out, there were about nine emptyj bleach bottles on the premises.  He threw them out in a general cleanup.  I came down a week later and thej house still smelled strongly of bleach.  We knew that kid had been growing plants, one of the reason we asked him to leave. What could he have been using the bleach for?   

Honored Contributor

Re: Question about bleach and marijuana

Do you ever watch crime shows ?

Honored Contributor

@depglass @Making meth...says a former police officer.

Honored Contributor

My gosh, yes, I watch all the time and hope I'm not just in denial.  I did not find any other evidence of meth production, but I didn't really know what to look for.  DH is totally oblivious to all of this and threw out a ton of stuff.  Had I been there with him I would have saved anything suspicious and called the sheriff.  What else would we have found had we been looking for it?  

Respected Contributor

I would associate bleach with cleaning up a bloody crime scen, not drugs. I watched breaking bad and I also used to know someone who grew marijuana plants at home and bleach wasn’t involved in either scenario. Or maybe they were just a clean freak!

Trusted Contributor

Bleach can destroy evidence but Luminol can uncover it if some is still there.

Honored Contributor

I think you can use something like a black light to test for blood stains

Honored Contributor

@cherry   Have you had a discussion with your local police (or vice dept if your city has one)?

Your husband may want to keep the bottles somewhere same for potential prints.

Just throwing these out there.

Esteemed Contributor

My husband and found an array of odd things on our walk down the dead end road a long time ago.

From what I can recall, we cound- a large package of salt, coleman lantern fuid, a mason jar with something in it, draino, a large box of matches and a spoon. There was more, but I can't remember just what.

I told him someone was making meth- he said surely not with this stuff, it would kill them. Come home and googled it and yes, it was too used to make meth. Called the cops and it ended there, they weren't interested.

Bleach makes me hope there wasn't a body.

Honored Contributor

If the plants were grown hydroponically the bleach could have been added to the water to prevent microbial contamination. It can also be used to clean the areas where the plants were growing.