Respected Contributor

Re: Question about being in a Catholic church service

[ Edited ]

I'm sure you weren't trying to be rude...but using words like weird and ostracize are offensive to those of us who are Catholic.  

This was meant as a reply to Mellie....sorry, I can't seem to figure out how to quote a poster in my response.  

Respected Contributor

@alicedee wrote:

I'm sure you weren't trying to be rude...but using words like weird and ostracize are offensive to those of us who are Catholic.  

This was meant as a reply to Mellie....sorry, I can't seem to figure out how to quote a poster in my response.  

@alicedee hi alicedee when you go to qoute just click on the QUOTE outside the reply box.  

Hope that helpsWoman Happy

Respected Contributor

@AngusandBuddhasMom wrote:

@alicedee wrote:

@alicedee hi alicedee when you go to qoute just click on the QUOTE outside the reply box.  

Hope that helpsWoman Happy

Aha....I never noticed that before!!!  Thanks Caravaggio!

Honored Contributor

@AngusandBuddhasMom- trust me on this, I was by NO MEANS challenging your statement!

Respected Contributor

@violann wrote:

@AngusandBuddhasMom- trust me on this, I was by NO MEANS challenging your statement!

@violann I don't think you were either I was just explaining why I wrote what I wrote. Apologies if I came off as that! Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

Now that I have really bad knees, I just sit.  No one says a thing.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@geegerbee  My condolences on the loss of your friend.  Heart

And as a Catholic, I would be offended and ashamed of any one who made you feel uncomfortable in any way no matter what you chose to do (sit or kneel) while visiting the Church today.  If they did, they aren't listening.  

Placing your body in the building every Sunday doesn't make you a follower of the faith.  Treating every single human being with dignity and courtesy outside of a regular Mass does especially when common sense tells you there are probably visitors during a funeral mass.  

During my father's funeral mass, most of his friends were Protestant and when the priest started the Our Father, all of them recited an extra line which Catholics do not say. It made the priest and the rest of us stumble a bit over the prayer but no one cared other the fact that these people took time out of their day to be there and honor him and his life.  

That's the true spirit of faith, in my opinion, no matter what path you choose to follow, if any at all.              

Honored Contributor

1 august,

I probably am late on this answer

I would do as the rest of the congregation is doing. Standing, kneeling, sitting. As for Communion, since you are not Catholic, you can not receive Communion.

I have been at weddings, funerals at Catholic masses. The non-Catholic's would go up during Communion but keep there hands folded against their chests and a blessing would be given instead of communion.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Laura14 wrote:

@geegerbee  My condolences on the loss of your friend.  Heart

And as a Catholic, I would be offended and ashamed of any one who made you feel uncomfortable in any way no matter what you chose to do (sit or kneel) while visiting the Church today.  If they did, they aren't listening.  

Placing your body in the building every Sunday doesn't make you a follower of the faith.  Treating every single human being with dignity and courtesy outside of a regular Mass does especially when common sense tells you there are probably visitors during a funeral mass.  

During my father's funeral mass, most of his friends were Protestant and when the priest started the Our Father, all of them recited an extra line which Catholics do not say. It made the priest and the rest of us stumble a bit over the prayer but no one cared other the fact that these people took time out of their day to be there and honor him and his life.  

That's the true spirit of faith, in my opinion, no matter what path you choose to follow, if any at all.              

We do say that line-- for thine is the kingdom and the power and the glory, now and forever and ever, Amen in a separate short prayer before Communion.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
QVC Customer Care

This thread is closed for commenting...