Respected Contributor

I am concerned for those of you in the way of the CA fires. Please be very careful.

If you are able please check in to let us know how you are doing.

Occasional Contributor

Re: Fires in CA

[ Edited ]

thank you for asking and thinking about us...........I live in Monterey, Ca., have family living in Carmel Valley, the fire is still miles away from Carmel Valley and Carmel, however, the fire grows by the minute, largest in Ca. over 5,000 fire fighters working day and night.  The smoke is so thick at times a person cannot see very far, also, creating health problems for most of us. Fire probably will not be out until end of August, by that time who knows where it will end up.

Honored Contributor

I can't even imagine what that must be like. 

Feel so sorry for the homeowners and the animals, but especially for the firefighters risking their lives, the heat alone and then with all the gear on to protect them. 

The smoke fumes they are breathing. 

You forget that this isn't just a campfire smoke, but many toxic chemicals are burning, too---unfortunately people's homes.

All that water being used!  Is there still a bad drought in the areas of the fires?

Occasional Contributor
yes, the drought is still with us regardless of the rain last winter. One of reasons the fire is so bad is because of the drought, the trees are dry, the under brush is heavy in this area and is hard for the fire fighter to get into certain places. The air is bad for me and the fire fighters are with the toxic fumes all day and into the night. The local community has stepped up is helping to house them and feed them. The National Guard is helping to bring in water because we do not have large lakes in the area.
Respected Contributor

After the last fire in Santa Barbara we were very lucky to have a home to return to.

The ash was thick all over the gardens and inside too. Even after thourough cleaning and scrubbing the ash kept appearing for several months. A bit like christmas tree needles showing up in the carpet in july.

We bought at costco an air filter to put in the bedroom. It really helped quite a bit.

My aunt lived in the valley until recently. So know it well.

Honored Contributor

I live just north of Salinas and have family who live in Monterey and work in Carmel Valley. They have had to close the business for a day or two here and there because of the air quality and employees affected. The smoke, and the smell of smoke, occurs as far north as San Jose, from family who work there.  I was in Morgan Hill on Saturday -  @Rocky Kat will know where that is, just south of San Jose, and the smoke covered the sun and all you could smell was smoke until mid afternoon.

Businesses like Motel 6 have been offering rooms to firefighters, and restaurants in Monterey & Carmel Valley have been taking them food. There have also been several fundraisers for victims. The Monterey Bay Aquarium is providing the venue for a benefit this coming Sunday.

It's heartbreaking to see the loss, and how hard the firefighters are working in a very frustrating, uphill battle because of terrain and the sheer size of the area.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all