Respected Contributor

Question about an Amazon return?

I have never returned anything to Amazon but I purchased a humidifier that quit working after 3 weeks. I printed a label that said I could return it up until Feb.1. The problem is that I do not have the original box but I do have the booklet and all the parts.

Can I just box up what I have and send it back with their label?

Many thanks for your replies.

Respected Contributor

Re: Question about an Amazon return?

I would call their CS. Amazon  has always been great on returns. They might also possibly have "live chat" available to ask questions. 

Respected Contributor

I have returned items to Amazon without any issues but I have usually had the original packaging.  Since you  have the authorization to return, box it up securely and send it back using the label you printed. You could also contact Amazon and/or the seller and tell them you are returning but do not have the original box.  It stopped working and that is their problem.  Hope this helps.

Valued Contributor

As long as you have all the parts, and you pack it well, there will be no problem.  I have returned an item without the original box.

Respected Contributor

Sometimes there is a box to indicate the condition of the merchandise.

Esteemed Contributor

Two days ago I received a c.d. for my daughter and an owl bangle bracelet for myself from Amazon.

Both items were shipped in a small packing envelope and arrived broken. The c.d. had 2 cracks in the case and the owl was off the bracelet.

I went to my order online and clicked on the 2 items that I would be returning and in the box I clicked on arrived broken/damaged. Then printed out the return labels and sent back yesterday.

Both items should have been sent from Amazon in a small box and I wrote that on the paper that went back to them.  How dumb can they be to send a music c.d. in an envelope?

Honored Contributor

You don't need the original box.  Just put it in a box with all the paper work and return it with the Amazon label.  

Respected Contributor

Thank you all for your replies. I will do just as you advised.

I ordered a scone mix from Stonewall Kitchen and it arrived in a padded mailer... the box completely crushed. Also a child's book sent in a mailer...2 pages had the corners bent, the cover included. Both from Amazon. The first year I have had a problem with them.

Qvc does a better job I think.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@wonderfulworld wrote:

Thank you all for your replies. I will do just as you advised.

I ordered a scone mix from Stonewall Kitchen and it arrived in a padded mailer... the box completely crushed. Also a child's book sent in a mailer...2 pages had the corners bent, the cover included. Both from Amazon. The first year I have had a problem with them.

Qvc does a better job I think.

@wonderfulworld  Did your packages ship from Amazon or a third party seller?  I usually think Amazon does a great job with packaging.  That sounds like an extremely frustrating situation with your orders though.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

We’ve returned things to Amazon without the original packaging and have never had a problem. Do you have any Amazon (Smile) boxes from prior purchases that are big enough for the humidifier? A big QVC box? If so, put everything in it with plenty of crumpled paper. This will cushion your return and protect it from getting damaged in transit. If you don’t have a recycled box, you can buy a pretty big box at Target at a reasonable price.