Respected Contributor

Re: Question about Winston-Salem

Apex, Cary, Pinehurst all all lovely but expensive to purchase a home. I know; we looked.

Honored Contributor

@riley1 wrote:

@Drythe - Well said. But I've got to ask - You ONLY had 4 months of summer????? Why do I feel like we had 7 months??? LOL

Yes, I have found the school systems in your area and mine to be low. 

@riley1

Honestly, I thought seriously about that, actually counted on my fingers, ‘cause I really think summer was about 6  or 7 months too!

Didn’t want to seem to be exaggerating.  

BUT -

I’m very much more aware of the heat & humidity now that it has started triggering my childhood asthma.  It does seem worse then when I was a child. I actually mentioned moving to the mountains to my DH, and that is saying something.

Hope you and yours are well and happy!   🎄 

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

I think North Carolina has a lot to offer; it is a beautiful state and the mountains are always beautiful to see. If you can find a church you can join and become active with, it will be a great place to make new friends. I would not move somewhere for your kids, but for yourself. Kids can get transferred or move across the country...you never know!
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Drythe wrote:

@riley1 wrote:

@Drythe - Well said. But I've got to ask - You ONLY had 4 months of summer????? Why do I feel like we had 7 months??? LOL

@riley1

Honestly, I thought seriously about that, actually counted on my fingers, ‘cause I really think summer was about 6  or 7 months too!

BUT -

I’m very much more aware of the heat & humidity now that it has started triggering my childhood asthma.  It does seem worse then when I was a child. I actually mentioned moving to the mountains to my DH, and that is saying something.

@DrytheIf pines or cedars are allergy triggers for you forget the mountains lol. The pollen falls in inches!

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Trusted Contributor

@riley1  I agree with you. In south central NC It is not unusual to start having 80 degree days in March, a little cold snap in april and then May starts with the  90 degree and above with 90 to 100% humidity a lot of times for all of June, July, August and september. Humidity sarts coming down in October, but still have frequent temps in the 80's and 90's in October. 

In winter we seldom have soft snow. It is usually a wintry mix , a lot of ice. 

I do not recall what part of nc your son lives op, if you like florida, we have nice beach areas also.

Honored Contributor

@Marp wrote:

@Drythe wrote:

@riley1 wrote:

@riley1

BUT -

@DrytheIf pines or cedars are allergy triggers for you forget the mountains lol. The pollen falls in inches!

@Marp

I’ve got allergies to pine pollen in the spring & ragweed, and goldenrod in the fall, get plenty of each right here. 

Single handedly I increase the Brio and Kleenex stock market for 7 - 8 months each year.

Seriously do love where we are, don’t see us moving unless we decide to go the CCRC route.  I just don’t think we’re cut out for communal living and I worked in the industry big time, and in a tangential way still do.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Esteemed Contributor

@Drythe, between pine, ragweed and goldenrod the mountains, at least in the western counties, are not for you.  The last couple of years it seems the pine pollen has been year round. The roller coaster temperatures have made pollen a constant.

I am relieved to know that in spite of my belief I am not the sole support of the tissue industry; happy to share that honor with you.  Allegra (generic) has been a godsend for me.

Honored Contributor

@Marp wrote:

@Drythe, between pine, ragweed and goldenrod the mountains, at least in the western counties, are not for you.  The last couple of years it seems the pine pollen has been year round. The roller coaster temperatures have made pollen a constant.

I am relieved to know that in spite of my belief I am not the sole support of the tissue industry; happy to share that honor with you.  Allegra (generic) has been a godsend for me.

@Marp

My family is from Wilkes County, so I know the area.  Came in the 1700s. Can’t move without bumping into kinfolks.

Moonshine in my blood!

Still, with all the pollen, at least you get some cool air.

I knew your area before it became so upscale - very beautiful, but pricey, out of my ‘summer home’ reach I’m afraid. 😕

Know you must love it. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Drythe  wrote:  I knew your area before it became so upscale - very beautiful, but pricey, out of my ‘summer home’ reach I’m afraid.

Think west Drythe, think west.  The toe area is still quite reasonable and a great place to "summer". The "upscale" areas of Asheville, Upstate (SC) and even Atlanta are a reasonable drive but far enough away that the feeling of a peaceful sanctuary isn't lost.  I do love it here.