Esteemed Contributor

I'm sorry I made a mistake,  close on the 31st of August and she doesn't want to pay September rent. And yes, I was told I have to be out the day we sign, which is why I'm bringing boxes tomorrow to start packing. I'm divorced and my son goes to school 2 1/2 hours away and works during the summer. He is coming for his birthday (Aug 1st) he will be 20 so I will make him pack a lot of the big stuff. Thanks everyone for all your input, it has helped a lot.

Honored Contributor

You still need to figure out how you are going to move this stuff. You should be on the phone trying to find a mover or a truck ASAP. These things need to be scheduled ahead of time. You don't just show up and they send a truck that day.

Esteemed Contributor
I would think that qvcfreak already knows that.
Respected Contributor

I also did a home inspection prior to selling my last home. While it can be helpful you need to keep in mind that problems discovered must be disclosed to a buyer. 

I hope your home sale goes smoothly OP. Good luck! 

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____
Respected Contributor

This might seem like a "minor detail" to you, but given the apparent fact that your purchasers have a contingency in their purchase offer regarding loan approval and their acceptance of the home inspection results, you can only consider your home "on the way to settlement" if you are given the opportunity to  sign off on a "removal of contingencies" form--and your purchasers should have to submit this "removal" form to you within the time frame allowed in the purchase contract.

Sounds like things are going well for you, but I'm just pointing out that "minor details" can mean big things, legally.  Good luck with a successful outcome!

Respected Contributor

Re: Question - Selling Home

[ Edited ]

And just in case anyone believes some misinformation that crops up from time to time........NO, THE SELLER DOES NOT ALWAYS AND SOMETIMES NEVER AND PROBABLY SHOULD NEVER PAY FOR THE HOME INSPECTION, the results of which should belong to the buyer and be charged on the buyer's dime. 

Ask yourself this if you are a buyer........if the seller instead of the buyer hires and pays the home inspector, exactly which one is owed loyalty from the inspector????  Buyers should hire their own inspectors and be the only ones privy to the inspection report, unless a buyer chooses to share the results with the seller, or the seller requests IN WRITING, in the original purchase contract, the right to  see the inspection report.  (And sellers should not care what's in that report unless the buyer is making an issue out of something that shows up in the report, at which time the seller SHOULD be shown the report in order to understand the issue being raised.

And don't be fooled if some people tell you  differently just because "this is just the way things are done around here."  Every single item in a real estate contract  (except those items governed by local, state or federal law) is negotiable, local "traditions" notwithstanding.

Esteemed Contributor
When we bought our home the sellers had 2 inspections and 2 appraisals on file. They also had on file the bills/warranties for the roof, windows, fencing, gutters etc on file as well.
Our "bank's" appraisal and our own independent inspection were pretty much in sync.

We were quite happy about that.
Honored Contributor

When we sold our house 5 years ago a home inspection in Pittsburgh cost $250. So for those who have 2 or more done - I'm very happy for you that you have an extra $500 sitting around to spend on that. Anyway it goes a mortgage lender is going to REQUIRE their own inspection and appraisal before they loan the money and most insurance companies also require an appraisal to be certain you are insuring the house for the correct amount. 

You can get a presale inspection done if you think there could be issues at the time of sale and you want to take care of that before you put the house on the market, but it is only done for you and , yes, anything they find you will have to reveal prior to selling the house. Generally, inspections are done by the buyer and the contract between the buyer and the seller almost always has a inspection contingency.

Esteemed Contributor

I would also advise you to read the inspection report. carefully. The inspectors generally use a form and can makes mistakes along the way. They had us down as missing a certain type of plug in the garage which the house never had and was not required. There were other things as well. Also as everyone in our case was selling a house, one of the buyers four houses back did not have the proper paperwork in order and it delayed everyone's closing date. Also our buyers wanted to move their belongings into my home before closing - I didn't allow that as I didn't want to be held responsible for anything. They were PO'd but that wasn't my problem. Closing isn't done until all have signed on the dotted line.

Trusted Contributor

I wish you best wishes on your new journey; this will be a busy month.... i would postpone my long weekends in August.... i would be sure i had everything ready for the move.... you know this can be viewed as an adventure.... enjoy yours.