Esteemed Contributor

I had my house on the market for 3 months with a really bad Realtor, took it off and waited a month for a couple that really wanted it but couldn't come up with full down payment.

I put it back on the market with a different Realtor on 7/18/15 and what a difference. Had our first showing on the 24th and they put an offer in, we countered $2000 more and they accepted. I was told by Realtor, it will take 10 days to reprocess her credit in case of any changes and to get house inspected before we close on 7/31.

My question is, once those two things pass (hopefully without any issues), my home is sold, right?

Honored Contributor

Yes.  Once her loan is good and the inspection passes, it's straight to closing.

Trusted Contributor

Usually a home inspection,title search making sure the mortgage is granted. Few more things that posters can mention. At the end a walk through before settlement. It can be frustrating at times but I'm sure everything will be good for you. Congratulations!

Esteemed Contributor

Thank you so much, I know I need to start packing but I don't want to jinx it and I have two long weekend trips in August and maybe I should start packing things I don't use or need to get a head start but again don't want to get ahead of myself.

Respected Contributor

Personally I never counted on my house being definitely sold until I walked out of the closing with the papers signed. 

Esteemed Contributor

I was told it takes 10 days and then they will let me know but closing on the 8/31 won't give me much time, especially with a big house, 3 outside sheds and just me. Ugh, glad it's coming to an end and so looking forward to downsizing.

Esteemed Contributor

I agree which is why I don't want to get ahead of myself and start packing. But I don't want to get overwhelmed especially because I have two long weekend trips. But thanks everyone for your quick replies.

Esteemed Contributor

You should be good to go... But stuff can happen....but, once the credit is approved and inspection ok, there may be minor adjustments that can be handled....congratulations....I was so relieved when I sold our house and went to a condo...enjoy! 

Respected Contributor

I don't know if your contract has any contingencenies so it's hard to say, yes your house has sold.  The buyer's lender will want to do an appraisal.  The buyer will have your home inspected and hopefully nothing too major will come up, but you never know.  This could kill the deal or be a re-negeotiating point.  Not trying to rain on your parade, but it's good to anticipate any eventuality.  

In the meantime, get started on getting packed up and throwing away stuff that can go.  Do you have a place to move into already?  Can you start moving stuff over?  A month is not a lot of time but you will get it done.  Good luck.

Honored Contributor

Re: Question - Selling Home

[ Edited ]

When we sold our house the couple was paying cash but the time needed for them to have the house inspected, the inspector to send a report and then us to negiotiate about the findings and us to do what we had said we would before closing, plus , naturally, they wanted an appraisal to be certain they weren't paying too much.If you get a mortgage they insist on that. Also, the insurance company they are going to use will need to see and appraisal.As it turned out they were using the same insurance co thru the same agent as we had so he took care of that internally. This all would normally take about 8 weeks. Then a fly in the ointment - the title wasn't cleared - we had to get an attorney because the title companty said my DH owed back child support. He didn't - he doesn't have any children - but we had to get that cleared up before the closing could happen. Even though it was a simple matter of showing the clerk of courts my DH's SS# and then him comparing it to the deadbeat and seeing it wasn't my DH - it took about 2 weeks for us to get the appt. to do that. So, with all this stuff that has to be done they usually wait about 2 montrhs for a closing.