Super Contributor

Exactly what does an EKG tell a cardiologist?  I'm having one today, then I have a follow up appointment Wednesday.

How does it show if a stress test is needed?

I'd appreciate your comments. 

TIA,

Demitra

Trusted Contributor

Re: Question...EKG

[ Edited ]

It will show your heart rhythm, how the electrical system that controls your heart is working. Unless there is an abnormality is found, such as irregular heart beat is found and you have no symptoms of heart disease no further tests are needed. Most ekg are done as routine due to up coming tests or surgery. It will help diagnose why some blood tests are abnormal. If you see NSR, normal sinus rhythm all is OK. If you have no other problems like shortness of breath, fluid retention, chest pain. The tech will explain. Are you having problems? Did they find cardiac enzymes abnormality? A stress test will measure your cardiac output, how efficient your heart muscle is pumping, as in cardiac insufficiency. Ekg is just one part of the big picture.

Honored Contributor

My husband survived a major heart attack 20 years ago.  Because of the damage to his heart, he has an abnormal heart rhythm with a pronounced dropped T-wave, which is his new normal.  Physicians are alert to the T-waves as an abnormality, so my husband carries a signed EKG strip in his wallet as proof of his condition.   

EKG's show the electrical rhythm of the heart, so if your heart is under stress from any medical condition, it causes the measured rhythm to vary from what is considered normal.   

Best wishes to you with your testing.

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because it is inappropriate.

Honored Contributor

EKG's detect Atrial Fibrilation.

Esteemed Contributor

EKGs show your heart activity at that particular point in time.  If you need further testing, other factors are considered as well.  Your medical history, family history, any symptoms and relevant blood work.  Many an EKG has been read as normal and a person can have a heart event in the same day or even minutes or hours later.  However, if it is grossly abnormal, at the time, you will be sent for appropriate diagnostic studies....it's really a question for your doctor, as everyone is quite different. 

Respected Contributor

@Demitra1,

An EKG documents several different activities of the heart.  As previous posters have identified it can identify an abnormal heart rhythm.  But a holter monitor can identify that as well.

It documents that state of the conduction system through the heart and can pick up on prolonged conduction of impulses.  It can identify a previous heart attack, pick up on ischemia (lack of blood supply) to certain parts of the heart, and it can pick up damage occurring to specific areas of the heart in the event of having a heart attack.

One important thing to remember is that an EKG is taken at rest.  In fact, they want you to lay still during the short time it takes to do the EKG.  A stress test may be ordered to see how your  heart reacts when the heart rate is increased and demand is placed on the heart.  That is one reason they may also order a stress test.

I would certainly encourage you to speak with your doctor about the results of the EKG.  And if they want to do a stress test, be sure to ask questions about why they want to run the test and what they may be looking for to rule out in your case.  And remember sometimes tests are ordered to rule things out and to make sure the most serious of situations are not a cause of a specific problem.

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Honored Contributor

Re: Question...EKG

[ Edited ]

@

@Demitra1,

I have had so many of them I can't even guess a number. Depending on the number of leads placed on ones body, all EKG's are not equal. Heart attack #1, with a 6 lead EKG it gave the Paramedic little information.

Heart attack #2, with a 12 lead EKG, the Paramedic told me what I already knew, I was having a heart attack. He was able to radio that information to the ER, and my Cardiologist was there shortly after my arrival. With heart "muscle", the more "minutes" between diagnosing it, and treating it, the more muscle dies, and along with that your chances of surviving, go down.

A resting EKG gives little information about the heart in comparison to  treadmill heart beat raising EKG. Like a motor in a vehicle, low RPM test drives tell you little, in comparison to revving the motor RPM to where is actually working.

There again, I have had more EKG's on a treadmill than I have resting. The decision during an EKG results depend on the Cardiologist reading the results, and knowing the medical history of the patient.

My personal experiences with resting and treadmill testing when it comes to an EKG, goes back to the very early 1980's, when I was in my early 40's. I tried to learn as much as I could about the many different types when it comes to an EKG.

By coincidence, I have my annual visit with my Cardiologist early tomorrow(actually today), and I plan on asking him for a treadmill EKG during that visit. Chances are good he will schedule my preference, and as soon as he can fit me in with those doing the test.

Hope all goes well for you, above all try not to worry about any of the EKG itself. I won't be. 

Best to you,

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

You know, I'm aghast. 

Why are you asking those kinds of questions here?  Those are the questions you should have asked the doctor who ordered the tests and/or the Cardiologist who'll be reading the results and giving you whatever advice is needed.

Asking them here is sheer insanity.

Super Contributor

Seriously, Cats?

Do not think for a minute that I'm stupid enough to not talk to my doctor about anything and everything.

i was merely asking for some initial information from the many nice and knowledgeable people here, including John. See his comment above. 

Do you not see the difference in his and the other's responses and yours? Your tone stinks and is uncalled for. 

If you think a post is beyond dumb, please just move on. It's not worth your time nor making the original poster feel insulted... unless that's your goal.