Honored Contributor

Question About Walmart Grocery Pickup

Do you need a smartphone in order to pick up a Walmart online grocery order?  I have a very basic flip phone without any 'bells and whistles', thus no ability to download apps.  I can place the order via my home computer, but don't have the smartphone capability to download an app to notify them that I have arrived for pickup.  At one of the local grocers, I am able to just call the store's phone number when I arrive at my assigned pickup time, then they load up my order in the trunk.  Can I just call a walmart phone number to let them know I am there to pickup my order?  

Respected Contributor

Re: Question About Walmart Grocery Pickup

there is a phone number on the sign in the parking spot for pickups

i call the number and tell them i am here and which spot i am in.

i do not use an app

~~who/what is responsible for your joy? YOU!~~
Honored Contributor

You just need to be able to call and say I'm here.

Honored Contributor

@deepwaterdotter    No smartphone needed.  When you get to the store, you call them on your flip phone to let them know you've arrived.  Phone number is on a sign on all designated parking places.  You stay in your car, they'll put the groceries in your trunk.  No tipping.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Grocery pick-up or having the items delivered to your front door is the only way to go nowdays.  (at least for me!)

Honored Contributor

Thanks so much for your help ladies, you gave me just the answer I needed.  I'm making my list tonight.  

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

While it is true that each pickup spot has a posted phone number to call to let the store know you have arrived. I had a different experience this last week. I have been using their grocery pickup for a few months now. I would get an email when my order was ready for pickup which was on or sometimes a little earlier than my scheduled time. The email has a link for 'Check In' to activate when you are on your way so they can track your drive progress and arrival. This way the store can anticipate when you are almost there, and get your order ready...take picked items out of the freezer, refrigerator, etc.  Walmart recently changed their online app which I had already downloaded. This trip I could not check in and link to the new app. I spent 20 minutes trying, and trying to reach a customer service rep by phone. I gave up and just drove to the store. I tried calling the posted telephone number at the pickup parking spot several times, and no one would answer the phone. I had to wait for quite awhile before someone would recognize me and look up my order. I'll try again after re-installing the app, but will probably shop in store today or tomorrow.

Respected Contributor

I used this for the first time today as the smaller grocery  I’ve been shopping at doesn’t have everything we want. I had the same issue as @Xivambala with not being able to check in on the app. Before I even noticed the phone number however, an employee was there and checked me in. I will definitely do this again. I saw very few people going in or coming out of the store with masks on so I’m glad they’re offering this.

Esteemed Contributor

@Xivambala ...I had the same experience just a few days ago, kept trying to find a link to let them know I was on my way, it wasn't there.  When we arrived, my daughter parked the car in a designated spot and called the number posted to let them know we were there.

Within seconds one of the employees came out, spoke to us and went in and got my order.  No problem.  Sorry your experience wasn't quite the way it should have been, I'm sure it was a one time thing.  I'm going to continue with the "pick up", the stores are so crowded now it's ridiculous. 

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 ...I know it says no tipping, however, I had a very large order and the young man who brought it out did a great job.  They work very hard and my daughter and I decided a tip was in order and  I gave him a five dollar bill.  His gratitude was so obvious that it made me glad I gave it to him.  Sometimes you have to do what you have to do. Woman Very Happy

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam