Honored Contributor

I just read that Quest Diagnostic was hacked on November 26, and I'm just finding out now. It said 34,000 patients may have had there information stolen. The only reason I used them for my blood work was because my insurance plan had a contract with them that I didn't have a copayment if I used them. The lab is reaching out to those affected. I'm so sick and tired of all the security breaches and hacks, their is no way to avoid them.

Honored Contributor

Re: Quest Diagnostic Hacked

[ Edited ]

"An “unauthorized third party” gained access to names, dates of birth, lab results and, in some cases, telephone numbers on Nov. 26 through a mobile health app that gives patients access to lab results and other information,"

"All the people affected have been notified"

FULL ARTICLE LINK

I'm safe because I do not have a cell phone to use a mobile app AND I have not been notified by Quest. whew.gif

*It pays to be cyber parinoid*

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

@Jordan2

You are so right.. hack hack hack

I hope you are protected? The responsibility is that of the insurance company to make it right.

"PayPal" (not the real one) sent a letter that was spam over the weekend ...

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

"An “unauthorized third party” gained access to names, dates of birth, lab results and, in some cases, telephone numbers on Nov. 26 through a mobile health app that gives patients access to lab results and other information,"

"All the people affected have been notified"

FULL ARTICLE LINK

I'm safe because I do not have a cell phone to use a mobile app AND I have not been notified by Quest. confused.gif

*It pays to be cyber parinoid*

@Mz iMac, I didn't realize it was through a health app. I don't use one so I should be okay.

Honored Contributor

@LTT1 wrote:

@Jordan2

You are so right.. hack hack hack

I hope you are protected? The responsibility is that of the insurance company to make it right.

It is the responsibility of the developers of the mobile app as well as QD to "make it right."  Not the patients insurance company.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

Re: Quest Diagnostic Hacked

[ Edited ]

Thx for sharing. I have not heard anything about it. That's the only Lab I have ever used. That's where the Ins says we have to go to. I just had labs there in Oct.

I should be ok I don't use a phone app.

Honored Contributor

The fact is that there is no site that can't be hacked, including any US govt site. It's something everyone should be aware of. It often has less to do with incompetent software developers than the fact that just about anything can be hacked, period.

Still, at this moment in time, we have the choice most of the time not to engage with companies online if we fear this happening. But one day in the not too distant future, we *won't* have a choice. Anyone's and everyone's information will be hackable because it will all be online only. 

The "good" news is that by and large, every time they announce one of these breaches, it is NOT followed up by reports of wholesale identity theft. Sites may be *able* to be hacked, but the data supposedly obtained doesn't seem to be being "used."

Life without Mexican food is no life at all