Honored Contributor

Re: Queen Mum has made her move....

@aubnwa01 wrote:

He has depended on mommy for financial support all of his life?  I wonder if he's put anything aside, or if he's been a spendthrift?  If he has to pay out settlements, will his mom pay them for him?   I think I read some where that Charles wants to trim the fat of the royals who are further down the ladder.  I wonder how this would've been handled if it had come to light after the Queen's death & it was Charles' or William's decision?

@aubnwa01 

Just my opinion of course, but I doubt Randy Andy has never even considered the need to "put anything aside".   I believe it was Newsweek (not sure) that had a mention that his mother would be paying his legal bills, but he had to sell his mega ski chalet.    

I think this is a rather sick family .... and also believe that,  as time goes by,  people will say that Harry and Meghan were smart to get out.   

Trusted Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@aubnwa01 wrote:

He has depended on mommy for financial support all of his life?  I wonder if he's put anything aside, or if he's been a spendthrift?  If he has to pay out settlements, will his mom pay them for him?   I think I read some where that Charles wants to trim the fat of the royals who are further down the ladder.  I wonder how this would've been handled if it had come to light after the Queen's death & it was Charles' or William's decision?

@aubnwa01 

Just my opinion of course, but I doubt Randy Andy has never even considered the need to "put anything aside".   I believe it was Newsweek (not sure) that had a mention that his mother would be paying his legal bills, but he had to sell his mega ski chalet.    

I think this is a rather sick family .... and also believe that,  as time goes by,  people will say that Harry and Meghan were smart to get out.   

I don't think the family is sick as much as they are so used to extraordinary privilege, they can't fathom any other way of life. I'm sure Andrew wasn't asking for I D's when women were making themselves available to him. He was used to whatever he wanted, whenever he wanted. Probably no different for any of the royals. Except maybe they were more discerning in their intimate affairs.

I don't think the institution will last in its current state much after the Queen passes away.

Trusted Contributor

@Cakers3 Both you and Linmo are correct.  My upbringing could not have been more different.  I was just expressing how hard it is for me to understand how anyone puts up with the abuse.

Valued Contributor

This is exactly the case. I read one especially horrible account of one of the girls - sorry, I don't remember which one it was.

Her mother had been recently widowed, and was in dire straits financially. The girl, who as I recall was only in her mid-teens at the time, somehow fell in with Maxwell. So this anxious, vulnerable youngster, who was wracking her brains to figure out how she could help bring in some money to help her mom, is flattered by this attractive, friendly older woman - told how pretty she is, modeling jobs hinited at, and so on.

The grooming was clever and incremental - only quite a bit later in the game did the ultimate reality surface.

"Behold! We are not bound forever to the circles of the world, and beyond them is more than memory." J.R.R. Tolkien
Highlighted
Regular Contributor

It seems that they have a lot of dysfunction in their family like everyone else, but since they're royals, the privilege has gone right to a few of their heads.  The monarchy might not be a necessity in a short time.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Highlands22 wrote:

She is the Queen, not the Queen Mum.

@Highlands22 - Thank you.  I was going to point out the same thing, but decided to read through the replies first to see if someone already had.

@fthunt  - The "Queen Mum" was Elizabeth's mother.  (So the title of the thread puzzled me, as I wasn't sure what kind of "move" she could've made!)  Woman Wink

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 - This is getting way off topic, but you continue to say the Royal Family is funded by the taxpayers.  A little research would show that that is not true.

King George III voluntarily surrendered the hereditary revenues of the Crown in return for payments called the Civil List.  This is normally calculated at 15% of total revenue.

However, even that isn't the whole story. 

By 2002 there were eight recipients of parliamentary annuities, all receiving a combined total of £1.5 million annually. Between 1993 and 2012 the Queen voluntarily refunded the cost of these annuities to the Treasury.  

The Sovereign Grant Act 2011 abolished all of these other than that received by the  Duke of Edinburgh.  Subsequently, the living costs of the members of the royal family who carry out official duties, including Princess Anne,  the Duke of York (Andrew), and the Earl and Countess of Wessex (Edward and Sophie). have mainly been met through the Queen's income from the Duchy of Lancaster.

It's not a simple topic, but it's certainly not a case of the "taxpayer" funding the Royal Family.

You may think the Royal Family (the Monarchy) is outdated or unnecessary, but Americans have no say in the matter.  Anymore than they have a say in who funds our political leaders.

Esteemed Contributor

@Venezia That's not the whole story.

The Sovereign Grant

This is the amount of money provided by Government to the Royal Household in support of The Queen’s official duties, including the maintenance of the Occupied Royal Palaces: Buckingham Palace, St James’s Palace, Clarence House, Marlborough House Mews, the residential and office areas of Kensington Palace, Windsor Castle and the buildings in the Home and Great Parks at Windsor, and Hampton Court Mews and Paddocks.

The Sovereign Grant is provided by HM Treasury and consolidates the funding previously provided through the Civil List and the Property Services, Communications and Information and Royal Travel Grants-in-aid. HM Treasury is responsible for monitoring the application of the Sovereign Grant in accordance with the Memorandum of Understanding between HM Treasury and the Royal Household.

The first Annual Report covering the new arrangements under the Sovereign Grant was for the year to 31 March 2013 and was published in June 2013. The most recent Annual Report can be found on our Media Centre.

Privy Purse and Duchy of Lancaster

The Queen's personal wealth and income

https://www.royal.uk/royal-finances-0

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Respected Contributor

How much does each taxpayer in the United Kingdom pay for the Royal Family? About 60 pennies per person per year. 

Honored Contributor

@Sushismom wrote:

How much does each taxpayer in the United Kingdom pay for the Royal Family? About 60 pennies per person per year. 

@Sushismom 

LOL .....   What is your source for this ?