Contributor

Hello everyone! I have noticed that several people watch both QVC and HSN. What are your opinions on one versus the other? I am a very devoted QVC watcher/shopper. I have flipped over to HSN a few times just to see what they have on and I have to admit that I feel like I am "cheating" on QVC when I do. I have not watched it very much at all, but when I have my impression has been that it looks "lower quality" or "cheap" compared to QVC. Basically this impression comes from the "look" on the tv. QVC looks like the camera work is much higher quality, the sound seems better to me, graphics seem better, etc. All of those things don't really matter in the long run. Have you found that the products on HSN are as good, or better, or comparable to QVC? I'm a big Christmas in July shopper here on QVC and have heard that HSN has a CIJ weekend as well. How does it compare to QVC's CIJ? Any input would be good. I don't want to cheat unless it's worth it! LOL!

Valued Contributor

I have watched QVC for 23+ years and admit that I had same feelings about HSN that you do but all that changed when the Q stopped selling scrapbooking supplies since that is mostly what I purchased. I was forced to go over to HSN and discovered that they have a very nice channel. Depending on what you buy, they can be a great place to shop. I even bought my first Andrew Lessman products recently after doing some price comparisons and discovering that his products are well priced and well made.

Hopefully others will chime in about fashion, handbags, makeup etc since I don't even buy much of that at local stores, much less from the TVSmile

Regarding CIJ, it does seem that the Q does a better job - not sure why, maybe it's the sets and overall selection though in my opinion QVC's CIJ products have really gone downhill over the last 3-4 years. I don't think too much of Mr. Christmas products and I miss Christopher Radko among others.

Super Contributor

I don't watch HSN or any other shopping channel but QVC, been with them since 2002. I agree with you the quality of everything to me is the best on QVC. I buy ALL my clothes from QVC, Denim and Co., George Simonton and Stan Herman, I have a few things from Bob Mackie. I buy Malden Mills sheets, I have featherbeds from QVC, Clark shoes, kitchen and outdoor items, lighting, cleaning products, gardening tools, computers, Luminart, Home Reflections, food, candles, Lizden and Valerie ParHill items. 99.9% of everything I have purchased in the last 12 years was from QVC, I do not go to the malls. Christmas in July, I love it, there are 21 of us, children and grandchildren and I always do well at Christmas, in the past with toys, now cookbooks, Vera Bradley, electronics. I miss Radko and Thomas Paconni ornaments, and I miss Sport Savvy.

Honored Contributor

I purchase from both but probably more from QVC. HSN has better clothing items and better wide width great shoes. I also like their beauty products but QVC has a better selection. What I noticed about HSN over the years is that they introduce a lot of products, most aren't carried after a year or so.

Respected Contributor

With the other retailers offering better deals, coupons and free and low S&H...either are not even on my radar any longer.

Esteemed Contributor

I have watched both for a long time - QVC since its inception. I used to watch HSN more than I do now, but have found that the things they show now for the most part don't interest me. I did buy a lot of jewelry a few years ago, Jay King, Chaco Canyon southwest jewelry, Technibond occasionally, but I really have all I need. I did get some beautiful sterling silver/gemstone rings. Also used to buy DG2 a lot and always watched her shows, but her quality and fit has gone downhill so much that I refuse to even watch any more.

They used to have a brand called City Hearts, athletic/leisure clothing--I have two hooded jacket/top/pants outfits that I absolutely love, wish I had gotten the third color. But as it seems with all good things, they replace them with something not as nice. They are now doing a lot of "AS SEEN ON TV" - what's with that? It's just stuff from a lot of TV infomercials. So I mainly watch QVC, HSN once in a while.

One more thing, I did finally break down and buy Joy Mangano's Huggable Hangers, 3 of the big sets, had so much trouble with wrong color, accessories not the same color as hangers, unusable over-door hooks, etc., it really turned me off. So will not watch her either.

Contributor

Thank you for the input ladies and keep it coming!

Mewsmomtoo - I have noticed the last few year on CIJ that they repeat a lot of the same products from previous years. They have a few new items sprinkled in though.

Lakk - I have a big family too so I look forward to CIJ. I always watch for the special weekends or days of Christmas things after that as well. I just love the spirit of it!

CouponQueen - I have gotten to where I check around when I see something to see if I can get it cheaper somewhere else.

Super Contributor

I buy more from HSN now. I just bought a Joy Mangano jewelry carry box and love it. I also have bought some beautiful inexpensive costume jewelry as well as Carol Brodie's Rarities. I think I returned a couple pieces of some jewelry I recently ordered and their return process is much faster than QVC. I also enjoy the hosts more and the more up to date fashions they show although I don't buy clothes. I do still enjoy the Q's special jewelry programming as the Gold days and the upcoming Designer Silver shows but have found more affordable designer pieces out in retail. As I stated in another forum, I've started an Ippolita collection.

Respected Contributor

I have been watching QVC since 1991 and HSN for even longer. Years ago, QVC used to be the better channel, with better hosts, merchandise and overall programming. Nowadays, it seems to me, that the tables have completely turned and HSN is much better. QVC's hosts are nearly all unwatchable or totally annoying to listen to and spend too much time talking about themselves and promoting themselves instead of telling the viewers vital info about the products they are there to sell. It's more like watching a Billy Mays infomercial.

Overall, I think the hosts at HSN are much more professional in their appearance and the way they present themselves and the products. They also seem to have more variety in their products and programming, unlike QVC's stale same old same old brands and products.

HSN seems to offer some better deals, like free shipping more often for example, but I still prefer shopping at my local malls where I get great sales and other incentives to shop. I used to shop a lot with QVC. Now it's more like once every year and a half or longer.

Respected Contributor

Usually go to the "Q" first but I love the extended payments offered on HSN. Frankly, trying not to order much from either these days unless it is something I really need.

I really don't have a fav designer on HSN but have bought a lot of the hangers from Joy. The rest of what I have ordered from her in the past has not been anything special; just can't sit through one of her presentations but do like most of the hosts on HSN more than the ones on the Q these days.