Honored Contributor

Re: QVC taxing food products

@bonnielu wrote:

First, I rarely buy food from QVC.  I  decided that once again I was going to buy Mrs. Prindable Apples for gifts.  I do it every year. I have neighbors and helpful service people I want to give a gift to.  I  had a bit of trouble ordering since I did not know the exact date I wanted to have them sent to me.  I guess I bought and then cancelled twice.  Finally I got it right.  Problem.. I had time to notice the price.  Usually depend upon the Q to get it right.  No shipping... but TAX.  HUH ????  Most states don't tax food products. Mine does not... Maryland.  So I called back and asked.  Sure enough they  had a list of states with no tax for food.... mine was one of them.  I am awaiting my refund.  Not sure if I will get it

Please check your orders.  Wondering if the Q really knows or cares or takes the time to check.   

@bonnielu 

No, no, no .....   The difference is if the food is just an item (like a bunch of celery)  or if it's PREPARED foods.  Restaurants always charge tax on your meals because it's PREPARED food.   That's the difference in both CA and NY, anyway.  

Now I'm curious ....  Do your Maryland restaurants charge tax on meals?

Valued Contributor

@Shelbelle wrote:

I have contacted SHQ many times about them charging tax on vitamin supplements, we do not pay tax on these items, so I refuse to buy any from them until they get it right, which they have not !!  I dont think HSN charges tax here on Lessman, not bought any in long time. I buy supplements on amazon and ebay and dont pay tax. and things like tea are not taxed. 

I agree with you 100% with Shop H Q with them adding tax  to vitamin supplements I thought companies would know this for each state, then I  wouldn't have to always call when I see the mistake and hoping it will be removed from my order as sometimes the customer service representative I don't think understand why I am even calling.

I too have given up with them as between adding tax and their outrageous shipping charges they have lost me.

Never had that problem with HSN or QVC.with ordering supplements.

Honored Contributor

Like so many others, here in Ohio we do not pay tax on some food but we do on prepared foods.  The Mrs. Prindables would fall under prepared foods.

Also on my packing slip, everything is always broken down.   The purchase price, s/h and then tax.  In Ohio we also pay tax on the s/h charge. 

Respected Contributor

I have traveled (for work or vacation) to more than 55% of the states in the US including HI and PR and they all tax PREPARED food/meals or RESTAURANT food/meals.

Most states do NOT food ingredients. Like a bunch of carrots or a bag of rice.

Esteemed Contributor

HSN does charge tax on supplements. When I buy Andrew Lessman vitamins they are taxed.

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@bonnielu wrote:

First, I rarely buy food from QVC.  I  decided that once again I was going to buy Mrs. Prindable Apples for gifts.  I do it every year. I have neighbors and helpful service people I want to give a gift to.  I  had a bit of trouble ordering since I did not know the exact date I wanted to have them sent to me.  I guess I bought and then cancelled twice.  Finally I got it right.  Problem.. I had time to notice the price.  Usually depend upon the Q to get it right.  No shipping... but TAX.  HUH ????  Most states don't tax food products. Mine does not... Maryland.  So I called back and asked.  Sure enough they  had a list of states with no tax for food.... mine was one of them.  I am awaiting my refund.  Not sure if I will get it

Please check your orders.  Wondering if the Q really knows or cares or takes the time to check.   

@bonnielu 

No, no, no .....   The difference is if the food is just an item (like a bunch of celery)  or if it's PREPARED foods.  Restaurants always charge tax on your meals because it's PREPARED food.   That's the difference in both CA and NY, anyway.  

Now I'm curious ....  Do your Maryland restaurants charge tax on meals?

@Tinkrbl44 

yes, maryland charges taxes on prepared meals AND they charge separate taxes on alcohol consumed in restaurants.

Maryland has a 6% state sales and use tax (raised from 5% in 2007) as of January 3, 2008, with exceptions for medicine, residential energy, and most non-prepared foods (with the major exceptions of alcoholic beverages, candy, soda, single-serving ice cream packages, ice, bottled water [including both still and carbonated water], and sports drinks)

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@Shelbelle wrote:

I have contacted SHQ many times about them charging tax on vitamin supplements, we do not pay tax on these items, so I refuse to buy any from them until they get it right, which they have not !!  I dont think HSN charges tax here on Lessman, not bought any in long time. I buy supplements on amazon and ebay and dont pay tax. and things like tea are not taxed. 

@Shelbelle 

i put some andrew lessman vitamins in my cart just now and i am not seeing any sales tax being added to my cart? they do charge for shipping and handling (which is usually taxed in maryland.)

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

@Shelbelle wrote:

@Shelbelle 

i put some andrew lessman vitamins in my cart just now and i am not seeing any sales tax being added to my cart? they do charge for shipping and handling (which is usually taxed in maryland.)

We should definitely NOT be paying tax on Lessman, if you are, you need to call for a refund, glad you said you are not. 

Some online sites do not charge tax, I bought some Prai beauty direct from their site and no tax.