Esteemed Contributor

Re: QVC prices on clothing

[ Edited ]

Agree and that is why I buy my clothes, when needed at Walmart or Costco or an online catalog.  Cannot tell the difference in fabric or quality.  Just love hearing what a "buy" they are providing.  Not a clothing customer on the Q anymore and the AS IS are even up in price.  No more.  

Trusted Contributor

I don’t mind paying if it’s quality, but I’m not really seeing that with Qvc; recently bought two tops that are pilling already, and don’t get me started on logo...after a few washings my tops are practically see through. Unfortunately today, price doesn’t necessarily mean quality.

Take time every day to enjoy where you are without a need to fix it
Honored Contributor

I have a lot of luck finding Q clothing on ebay, new , not used. I just got 2 pair D and C crops for half of what the Q cost is, perfect condition. 

Frequent Contributor

I have been shopping QVC and HSN for years because of the convenience and good quality clothing. Not so much anymore. Quality has gone down and prices way up. Just went to Macy's and got four tops. With sale prices extra discount and $10 bonus they came to what I would pay for one item from QVC and I didn't have to pay shipping. HSN has gotten so bad with their quality, I hardly ever purchase from them anymore and they use to be my favorite.

Honored Contributor

If you cannot afford QVC prices, stop watching QVC and shop with the retailers that sell what you want at the prices you want to pay.  QVC isn't going to return to the QVC of the 1990's or early 2000's.  Retail just doesn't work that way and honestly, QVC never was some low price discount operation.  It's not that QVC's prices are higher,  it's that you are older now and your income is lower.  Stop watching fashion shows on QVC because that will only make you feel bad and resentful.  Shop with brick&mortar retailers.    

Honored Contributor

@Sylanne @I just got shorts at Walmart..16.00 and they fit the best of all of my clothing and are made and wash just as well.The shorts were not on sale either so can’t beat the price.

Honored Contributor

Aside from the original very high prices for items that can be found elsewhere for less, my main problem with QVC and now HSN which has become more like QVC unfortunately, is their lack of true sales.  Saving $10 on a a $70 item is not a sale.  

I do not want clothes that "last forever."  I can't ever remember getting rid of an item, regardless of price, because it wore out.

IMO for many QVC is an addiction.  All stores have websites, many with free or reduced shipping, but those who are used to shopping at QVC continue to do so regardless of the many, and usually better, alternatives.

Honored Contributor

@dex 

I agree, Walmart's clothing is good quality at affordable prices.  The same with Old Navy.  I do spread my shopping dollars around.  For price reasons but also for styl reasons.

Frequent Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

If you cannot afford QVC prices, stop watching QVC and shop with the retailers that sell what you want at the prices you want to pay.  QVC isn't going to return to the QVC of the 1990's or early 2000's.  Retail just doesn't work that way and honestly, QVC never was some low price discount operation.  It's not that QVC's prices are higher,  it's that you are older now and your income is lower.  Stop watching fashion shows on QVC because that will only make you feel bad and resentful.  Shop with brick&mortar retailers.    

I’m not older. I’m in my 40’s and my household income is the highest it has ever been. I can afford QVC but what you pay for what you get just isn’t worth it much anymore. LOGO is insane for what you get. That’s trash in my opinion. I don’t feel bad nor resentful. We’re just having a conversation about prices going up, quality going down. 

Honored Contributor

I find that so much of clothing prices is simply marketing.
Those who like to defend the prices on QVC and other overly priced clothing are overlooking the fact that higher prices are not always higher quality but priced to what they think the "market will bear."

And people with a higher income will often defend their buying as wanting "better quality" when similar less expensive items are often made in the same factories with the same materials.

Yes there are better qualities of clothing in fabric, and workmanship and details, but they are not always because they are more expensive.

Those who defend higher priced items do not want to think they are being taken advantage of or duped into believing thay are purchasing better quality clothing.
And sometimes, those with higher incomes are just not willing to do the search to find the best values, priding themselves on buying the best and being loyal to a certain brand or company or store, (online or otherwise), defending the prices because admitting they are paying more than is reasonable or worth it, just is not something they would do.

What one person describes as quality is what others don't so that is subjective at best!  I like clothing that isn't conservative and more eclectic and unique that I don't see everywhere and that is what is a part of quality for me also!

Those who are so overly defensive about lower cost clothing do so probably because they have convinced themselves that lower priced clothing is best and no matter what they will not pay more for anything no matter how much they actually would like something!!!   If  you are on a budget that doesn't allow for spending a lot on clothing then just say so.  I grew up on clothing that was cheap and I didn't have a lot but that was ok and I made no excuses!  Now I can afford what I like.   

A lot of the lower priced clothing are actually rejects from the higher end and have flaws including in sizing.

I have never considered the price of anything I buy to be overpriced and have never felt I am being taken advantage of and I think that is just a cop out for those who never spend much on clothing anyway to justify buying cheap always!!

I find wasting time seaching for something I want or need to be aggravating and unnecessary.  When I find what I like and want I will buy it and what I pay is worth it for me!! 

While I get that some cannot afford to shop that way, I worked hard all my life so I don't have to buy what I don't want or like just because it's cheaper.  My time is more important than saving a few dollars.

We are all different and can choose what we like and want to buy!