Respected Contributor

Something similar happened around here several years ago, made the paper and tv station.

Unfortunately she ran up her credit cards and everything that was purchased wasn't paid for.   Her husband was still living and he was obligated for the debt.

Those are the customers that the Q loves, just order for no specific reason and never return anything.

I'm sure there are many more like this woman.   I have determined that many people don't return anything (my mom and grandma never returned anything) they will just "give it to someone they know".  

Esteemed Contributor

I've wondered....when a few call-ins during a show say they have 40 - 70 - or more D&B bags and they sound so proud of the fact.  And they have added that D&B never wear out!  How can they - even if you change purse every day.........

I really have wondered about these women and what they feel is important in life.

Honored Contributor

@fthunt wrote:

I've wondered....when a few call-ins during a show say they have 40 - 70 - or more D&B bags and they sound so proud of the fact.  And they have added that D&B never wear out!  How can they - even if you change purse every day.........

I really have wondered about these women and what they feel is important in life.

@fthunt - could you imagine!  I use the same purse year round unless we are going some place special.  It doesn't get replaced until it's seen better days!

Honored Contributor

Western New York??

Was the sale at my house???

Smiley LOL

Esteemed Contributor

@fthunt wrote:

I've wondered about having that many bags as well. And how it would be to have that much storage space, I'd think if they can afford these bags, they surely have a closet devoted to handbags, but I don't know....not the life I am living, lol.

Honored Contributor

@Equuleus wrote:

I would not label it as a "mental illness."  People throw that word around for lack of knowing the real circumstances.

I disagree with you - hoarding is  a mental illness. Often , the lonliness that brings on hoarding, is because of other mental illness issues over the years , which kept the person from developing relationships and has , in the end, left them alone.

Trusted Contributor

The amount reported in this story cannot be accurate.  Maybe some extra 0s added.  She would have to have been a millionaire many times over to have afforded to purchase that much.  Where is her family?    Yes, it is alot of stuff.  QVC was her company each day if this report about unopened packages is any bit true. .  Again, where was her family?And, please do not throw around the "mental illness" term this way as one poster did.

Honored Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@chrystaltree wrote:

Well, $700K makes me raise my eyebrows.  However, I have known of two elderly women who passed away and when their families cleaned out their houses, they were shocked.  Rooms full of never opened QVC and HSN boxes.  One woman who was a co-worker said she always wondered why her mother never let anyone go upstairs in her house.  And then she did and every room was bursting with the stuff.  So, yes.  There are a lot of elderly women who are lonely and no have no social outlets and they have credit cards and money is not a problem.  They watch shopping channels....and buy stuff.  Honestly, I go back and forth on how I feel about this but I think that people, even eldery people have every right to do whatever they want with the money.  In the cases, I know of the women had no financial problems.  So, some people travel.  Some people donate large amounts of  money to various charities (my dad was like that).  Other people shop.  If that's what gives them joy, I have no problems with that.   I can say that it is a bummer for family members who have dispose of years and years of "stuff" because it's brand new so it's it's not a matter of "throw it in the dumpster".  

I know someone like that, cannot say no to any animal charity that comes along.  That's okay but it has gotten to the point where she is now struggling to take care of herself - bills, food, necessary repairs for her condo and car.

I have no use for so many charities!  They PREY on older people and don't give a hoot if they take every last nickle and then some.  And these are "respectible" (or what I used to believe were) charities.  And MEDICAL goups I thought were legit selling newsletters with "important" medical advice.  What a racket!  What a shame and they get away with it!

Honored Contributor

@kjae wrote:

The amount reported in this story cannot be accurate.  Maybe some extra 0s added.  She would have to have been a millionaire many times over to have afforded to purchase that much.  Where is her family?    Yes, it is alot of stuff.  QVC was her company each day if this report about unopened packages is any bit true. .  Again, where was her family?And, please do not throw around the "mental illness" term this way as one poster did.

There are many older people who have no family or are estranged from family.  

Honored Contributor

@kjae wrote:

Yes it could be accuate.  Some people have a lot of mone and no family.  And yes, mental illness could certainly be at play.  Dementia has many forms and is not sometimes apparent even to people who know them well until is has progressed a LONG way.  

NOT EVERYONE HAS FAMILY.  AND EVEN IF THEY DO FAMILY DON'T ALWAYS know.  People can be very good at hiding things in their lives.