Trusted Contributor

@Texussgal wrote:

I totally agree, they have never had anything that I absolutely HAD to have or couldn't purchase in my area.  They have NOTHING that I cannot get in my area for nearly the same price.  A good example would be Dooney & Bourke handbags.  They never give the retail price on those and in doing due diligence and comparison shopping in my area, they can be purchased here for exactly what QVC sells them for.  And, the great thing about that is.....don't have to pay S&H in the extragavant amounts the "Q" charges, i.e. $11+.

Since you indicate that QVC sells nothing that you need or want that you cannot get cheaper locally, why the heck are you spending so much time worring about whether a host purchases an item before the show?

Esteemed Contributor
I have been able to order a brand new item before its ever presented on-air. Why should another shopper be barred from doing the same just because they're employed by QVC?
In fact I've been able to order an item from QVC that was NEVER presented on-air. If I follow your position correctly, I shouldn't have been allowed to buy that either.
Honored Contributor

Makes no difference to me one way or another what they buy or when they buy it.

Respected Contributor

I think it's a complete line of bull!

Think about it - they have to see EVERYTHING before they have to talk about it on air.

IF they loved it that much, they would order it even BEFORE they were on air.

It is a complete line of bull that is nothing but a sales tactic.

Hyacinth

Regular Contributor

Re: QVC Policy for Hosts

[ Edited ]

I work for a very large library system and we do not get items before the patrons.  We are required to add our names to the waitlist just like a regular patron.  If we ae caught not following the rules, we can be fired.  Just FYI about the what you think we get as "perks".

Honored Contributor

Nothing but another in a long series of rather weak sales ploys, is my thinking...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

I think it was probably never true that hosts had to wait to order an item, I certainly never believed it.  Qvc just stopped saying it because shoppers (I think) are more sophisticated now and we understand that QVC is selling thousands of an item so it makes no sense whatsoever if a host buys one or even a dozen.  And it's good advertisement for an item if it's a "must have" for show host because many women like the items that their favorite show hosts like...or say they like.

Esteemed Contributor

Another sales gimmick --- relax!!!!! I'm sure there are plenty to go around. Does that really make people want to buy the product?? Not me.

Honored Contributor

I don't know anyone who works in sales who waits until AFTER a product goes up for sale to purchase it. If anything, customers are lucky that a product is available to purchase because employees will pull the product first to purchase before it goes out on the floor.

I have and have friends who have worked in retail since the 70's; we have ALL pulled merchandise to purchase when seeing it as it's unpacked- in some cases there were NO ITEMS TO SELL because all the employees had purchased it!! 

I don't see it as an issue in any way *shrugs*

Honored Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

I don't know anyone who works in sales who waits until AFTER a product goes up for sale to purchase it. If anything, customers are lucky that a product is available to purchase because employees will pull the product first to purchase before it goes out on the floor.

I have and have friends who have worked in retail since the 70's; we have ALL pulled merchandise to purchase when seeing it as it's unpacked- in some cases there were NO ITEMS TO SELL because all the employees had purchased it!! 

I don't see it as an issue in any way *shrugs*

@SahmIam  I'm not doubting you but it would seem to be a poor business practice-employees usually get a discount so the store would be earning less profit (even though retail prices are hiked sky high) compared to selling all those items at full retail to customers.

I agree the Q hosts are not an issue and as I said earlier I see it as a sales tactic (and not always a believable one)  LOL

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh