Honored Contributor

QUESTION ON FOOD SERVERS' TIPS

I need your feedback on what actually happened here ....

Yesterday I took my visiting niece to a local Chinese restaurant for lunch.  Our server was obviously very experienced .....  and happy to see us.  During the whole lunch time, only 3 other parties came in and ate inside the restaurant.  However, there was a constant stream of people coming in to pick up food they had ordered.  I'm happy to report that the restaurant is doing a brisk take out business.   

At the end of our meal, the server brought the check which totaled $24.95 with spaces below to fill in tip and total.   You've seen them.

I added a tip of $5.05 and wrote in a total of $30.00.   The server picked up the check as we said good bye, so I know he knew that I gave him a tip of $5.05.   

Today, on my credit card statement, the restaurant tab deducted was $24.95.   How is this possible?   If they had deducted a full $30, I would assume they gave him the $5.05 ... in a computerized tally or cash from the register .... I think.   Isn't that how it's usually done?

What happened here?   I'm concerned the server didn't get his tip.  Do you think the cashier made a mistake?

What could have happened here?   I am baffled.  Should I stop by the restaurant to get this straightened out?   

TIA

Contributor

Re: QUESTION ON FOOD SERVERS' TIPS

The entire bill, including the tip will show up in a few days in your bank.  Whenever I eat out my bank doesn't show the entire bill until after a few days.  Usually the charge is just for the meal.  I don't know why my bank or anyone's does this.  But they will get their tip.

Frequent Contributor

This happens to me all the time...What happens is the food charge will show up as Pending &  then when it is posted it will show the tip.  I have called in in a panic to the Restaurant when this first happened & they said this is the way the Credit Card Co's do this.   

Honored Contributor

Like the others said, this is normal. The way the bank explained it to me was when you give the server your CC, that amount is run through the bank to make sure it is approved. Then the approved charge slip is brought back to you to add the tip.

My experience has been the same as @gaga's. The amount will not be posted until the tip is added. Until then it will be a pending charge.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Both my late DH and I and later our son and his wife have a policy of giving a tip in cash directly to the server. 

Trusted Contributor

@Love my grandkids wrote:

Both my late DH and I and later our son and his wife have a policy of giving a tip in cash directly to the server. 

That's what I do too.  If you put the tip on the credit card then those wages are added to their paychecks and taxes are taken out.   With cash it's immediate income and rarely taxes are taken out because they don't report it. 

Respected Contributor

I just learned this after we started going out to eat again. We have always paid cash when dining out but since the pandemic, I’ve put everything on a credit card. I was so concerned the first time it happened, I called the restaurant to make sure the server got her tip. 

Esteemed Contributor

Perhaps in this situation the tips are pooled and waiters get a share of the pot.  Maybe, that amount is run at a different time for the distribution of your waiter's share.

I do a lot online grocery shopping nowadays and I can tip beforehand, or up 24 hours after delivery.  Sometimes, I don't include the tip in the transaction and hand them the cash upon delivery.  The places I shop promise that $100% of my tip will go to my shopper/driver.  When they run the charge, the tip amount is always separate though and never charged with the original amount or on different dates.  Always separate but charged simultaneously.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Respected Contributor

I always give the cash to my server rather than placing it on a credit card.  I feel some may depend on the tip money daily and many/most restaurants add it to their check at payday.

Honored Contributor

Me - Always Cash to the server.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras