Respected Contributor

Re: QUESTION ABOUT FLORIDA AND COVID 19

@Bridgegal I do not know where you live but I live in Florida and you are completely wrong in saying there is no testing in Florida.  We are doing tremendous testing in Florida including free testing where people are lining up for hours in their cars.

I do not understand why you would make such a false statement about a state I live in and have experience with on a day to day basis.

We have enough problems, here, in Florida without people like you spreading falsehoods.

Esteemed Contributor

COVID-19 tests performed in Florida unreliable

ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. — The results of more than 35,000 COVID-19 tests ordered by a Florida-based health care system and performed by a third-party lab are unreliable, the company said Saturday.

According to AdventHealth, a faith-based health care system, the situation has created “unacceptable delays.” AdventHealth didn’t name the third-party lab but said it had terminated its contract with the lab.

The tests were a mixture of positive and negative results, and some had been at the lab for a while. About 25,000 of the unreliable tests were in the central Florida area.

AdventHealth president and CEO Terry Shaw said the company will notify patients who are impacted.

AdventHealth has 49 hospitals in nine states. Company spokeswoman Melanie Lawhorn said two of those states are joint venture systems and were not affected by the unreliable testing.

From:  wtkr.com/news/coronavirus/covid-19-tests-performed-in-florida-unreliable

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

The testing numbers are actually quite impressive. If you go to this site you can see the actual numbers.

https://covidtracking.com/data/us-daily  

Yesterday saw 356,994 people tested and a total of 11,077,179 tested overall. Testing started back on 2/28/2020 with just seven people being tested. In the 79 days since then, we've averaged over 140,000 people being tested each day. For the last week, the average has been well over 300,000 per day. Bear in mind that the first official mention of the issue, according to the NY Times timeline, was on 12/31/2019 when China announced an unusual outbreak of pneumonia. That was 138 days ago and in that time the virus has been identified, tests developed, and now over three hundred thousand tests administered each day. 

To put things in perspective, it took from 1981 to 1985 to develop the first AIDS test, so this is a pretty staggering achievement we've seen in testing for Covid-19. In 138 days we've identified the virus, developed the tests, and tested over eleven million people with three hundred thousand plus getting tested each day. For so much to have been achieved in so little time is unprecedented. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenman

When India was hit  with COVID, Modi instituted the strictest lockdown with total closure including curfew, and police beatings for transgressions. India also had/has the least testing. Some interesting things to consider are the very small elderly population vs a large population of children, 22,500 people die normally each day, the monsoons are yet to come, and there is constant use of medication for TB and malaria.

Honored Contributor

@pigletsmom wrote:

@Bridgegal wrote:

@pigletsmom 

Again, no spiking because they aren't testing nor fully reporting.  It's all a scheme to look good and have numbers that support their agenda.

@Bridgegal 

Where are you getting this no testing or fully reporting? They are certainly reporting new testing and new positives. And is this happening everywhere or only Georgia and Florida?

I know we just fudged the nursing home numbers here in NY. I would agree that for sure was to make our numbers look good. Not that shenanigans in NY come as any shock to me. Business as usual.

@pigletsmom  I'm wondering whose agenda @Bridgegal is supporting because my state is offering testing to anyone. At first, a person had to be symptomatic or working in the medical field but now we can drive up and be tested even if we are just curious about possibly having contracted the virus. To say numbers are being fudged is simply not the case where I live. Maybe in big states with corruption, things like that are happening, but please don't accept these blanket statements as truth.

Esteemed Contributor

I saw a graph yesterday and the states that have been locked down the longest have the highest per capital death rate. That tells you right there lockdowns didn’t sign. Florida is ond of the lowest deaths per capital death and they were lady to lock down.

Esteemed Contributor

@pitdakota wrote:

@Marp wrote:

@ccassaday wrote:

One other thing that proves these lockdowns were not needed is half the cases are in nursing homes. They are the most locked down and they are hit the hardest. The facts are if you take long term care facility deaths out the mortality rate with most citizens is very very small.

@ccassaday, believe me when I tell you that "half the cases are in nursing homes" does NOT apply to North Carolina.

This graph is from the state site:

https://files.nc.gov/ncdhhs/CasebyAge.jpg

@Marp  People make all kinds of assumptions that are not based on facts.

It is not true for the state of Kentucky either.  51% of all cases are individuals 39 years of age and younger.  We have had multiple children, with 25% of all cases in the 0-19 years of age group.  The youngest was a 10 day old infant.

We have had 2 hospitalized with the pediatric multi-system inflammatory syndrome.  A 10 and 16 year old.

70-79 years  7% of all cases

80yrs +         4% of all cases 

I was talking about the death rate. Sorry for the confusion.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Somertime wrote:

@Bridgegal I do not know where you live but I live in Florida and you are completely wrong in saying there is no testing in Florida.  We are doing tremendous testing in Florida including free testing where people are lining up for hours in their cars.

I do not understand why you would make such a false statement about a state I live in and have experience with on a day to day basis.

We have enough problems, here, in Florida without people like you spreading falsehoods.

Bashing Florida is a favorite pastime on these boards!  

Many do not realize that the more tests you do the higher the numbers of positive!  

Testing in Florida is by the thousands per day!

Respected Contributor

Her is the latest Florida dashboard for the data from 5/16/2020 for all new Covid-19 cases in Florida. As a state our numbers are back up to just about the peak of the pandemic. 5/18/2020 is about 2 weeks since Florida started to open up. I am staying in isolation. I don't mind at all. I feel sorry for those that have to work or have lost their jobs. 

Florida Dashboard.PNG

Honored Contributor

@Bridgegal wrote:

Again, no spiking because they aren't testing nor fully reporting.  It's all a scheme to look good and have numbers that support their agenda.

@Bridgegal 

And you know this how, again?  Testing numbers, and not fully reporting,  Agenda?  Interesting how much different people think, and that is a good thing?

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)