Occasional Contributor

Pug lovers... Quick question

I am looking at the raised feeders that sell on Q. My Presley (pug) gobbles food down so fast and his neck is down in the dish. I thought a raised feeder would help. The smalls all look too small, but the medium looks too high! Thoughts? Has anyone had any good choices? Thanks.
Respected Contributor

Re: Pug lovers... Quick question

If he is eating too fast you may do better with a slow feed bowl.

Slo-Bowl-Mini

no-skid, stainless steel slow feed dog bowl

He is not a big dog so I am not sure that a raised dish would slow him down. When they eat to fast they run the risk of getting bloat which can be life threatening. I don't think pugs are usually on the list but any dog that gulps their food fast could be at risk.

You can google slow feed dog bowls and see a bunch of different ones. I use them for my dogs because they open their little mouths and inhale.They look like a vacuum cleaner when they instantly inhale their food without chewing. The bowls have turned them around to eating peacefully and seeming to enjoy their food more.

I bet my parents would have liked to have some dinnerware that was slow feed design to slow the children down.{#emotions_dlg.lol}

doxie

Honored Contributor

My mom had a Pug, and I don't see where a slow feed bowl would have worked for him. Without a 'snout', they have enough trouble getting the food in their mouths. These look like they'd never be able to get all the food, no matter how slow or how hard they tried.

I would recommend a raised bowl, and if necessary, I'd give the dog smaller amounts of food over several feedings per day, or even divide the meal into quarters, give one portion at a time, allowing some minutes between portions.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I think a dog gobbling food is natural, I would worry if he stopped.

Regular Contributor

Hello, just saw this posting. I have 3 pugs, Baby, a 10 yr old female; Deva, 8 yr old female; and Scarlett, a 3 yr old female. Scarlett is the only one that eats fast, like it is her last meal. No type of raised bowl, etc. has helped to slow her down. So, I feed them all twice a day, small portions, and I find that watering it down a bit helps to slow her down. I have discussed this with the Vet but they are not alarmed and they all just had their yearly physicals and all have a good healthy weight.

Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the info. My last pug did the same- I guess it's the nature! He was with me for 16 yrs. They do eat like its the last meal!!! I just thought a raised bowl would be better for airway or indigestion. I appreciate all the responses. love your pups!