Honored Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

@Kachina624      Uh oh!    I have always carried my keys in my fist...like a "form" of brass knuckles...

@Desertdi 

I do too, but in my case I have a 'cat' keychain in my fist, notice the ears.....go for the face or any part of the body you can reach.

My Kitty Plastic Self-Defense Keychain Weapon Black

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Esteemed Contributor

I'm not surprised.  I'm obsessed with my keys for some reason so I've always kept them inside my purse.  I was always afraid the key chain would break off or could be taken off by a pickpocketer type person.  My purse could always be taken from me but I figure my chances of losing my key/getting stolen are less if they're kept in the purse.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Esteemed Contributor
I worry about losing a smart key fob; those suckers cost several hundred dollars to replace.
Honored Contributor

@shoptilyadropagain wrote:

I'm not surprised.  I'm obsessed with my keys for some reason so I've always kept them inside my purse.  I was always afraid the key chain would break off or could be taken off by a pickpocketer type person.  My purse could always be taken from me but I figure my chances of losing my key/getting stolen are less if they're kept in the purse.

With my keys in my hand, even if they snatch my purse, I still have my keys in my hand with a wicked kitty weapon attached.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

We have electronic building access cards and individual keys for our apartments, laundry, etc. etc.  Buildings are very secure.

They are all on a lanyard - and usually around my neck and inside my shirt if' I'm out shopping.  Otherwise - attached inside my bag.   Never exposed.

Esteemed Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

@Kachina624      Uh oh!    I have always carried my keys in my fist...like a "form" of brass knuckles...

@Desertdi 

A good idea. Keep you keys out of sight, and as a "just in case" protection, since you mentioned brass knuckles. Make sure you have at least 1 or 2 keys squeezed tight between your fingers. Aim for the eyes!

hckynut  🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor
I don’t even have an actual key on my key ring. My house, car, and office all have an electronic fob.
Respected Contributor

It's much easier to simply pick a lock than it is to try and get a picture of the key and then get a locksmith to agree to make a duplicate from it. (they don't want to be a party to a crime either.)

Quote from Locksmith:  "it's not as straight forward as it seems. For a simple padlock it could work as their mechanisms are more simple and “lose”. For other types of locks you may find it more difficult, or even impossible. Every key has it’s own engraved shape cut, all through the side of the key to fit a similar shaped hole in the lock. If you don't manage to cut the exact same shape all along the side of the key, It just won't go all the way in. And even if it does it needs to be a pretty accurate cut for it to work.

There are different types of locks with key shapes that would be impossible to replicate by a DIY. And anyhow there are much simpler ways to open a lock making a key from a photo Smiley Happy. "

Valued Contributor

@patbz wrote:
I worry about losing a smart key fob; those suckers cost several hundred dollars to replace.

I just lost my spare key fob that I kept in my purse. I don't always close all the zippers. Now I have to get a spare at the dealership that will cost over $300.00. Woman Frustrated

Esteemed Contributor

My keys are always kept in my pocket. Pants, skirt or dress all have pockets.

One question, how would anyone know the lock that fits those keys that's made from a photo? Are they following me home? Then they'll have a problem.