Honored Contributor

Yea, they lost my support when that happened. But then again, the whole thing is so currupt...it just doesn't even matter any more. It's great to hear that so and so won a medal but beyond that, I don't care.

Trusted Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@madzonie wrote:

This may have been discussed previously, but I just had to get something off my chest.

I remember when the Olympics used to be so strict about no "pro" athletes competing in what is supposed to be the ultimte in amatuer sports.  But slowly through the years, the powers in charge decided paid athletes would bring more interest....and more money....to the show.

Mix in TV and lucrative endorsements and commercials, over-the-top Hollywood-style opening ceremonies and we now have an event that no longer seems to showcase those dedicated and talented amatuer atheletes around the world.

One vivid recollection of this transition was when the so-called "dream team" pro basketball team went to Barcelona in 1992.  They were cocky and self-assured and acted like they couldn't be beaten.  I remember being a bit embarassed for our country at their behavior.

Another vivd memory of mine was when the amateur U.S. ice hockey team won gold at Lake Placid in the 1980 Winter Olympics.  They were the "Do you believe in miracles?" team that was cherished because they won when they were said to have no chance.

Now there are professional golfers, soccer & basketball players, tennis champs and on and on...

This kind of makes me miss the old days.

@madzonie

This has been going on for a while, so I'm surprised you are suddenly upset about it.  

Practicing to become Olympic-worthy is not cheap!   It takes years of training, practice and a good support system of adults around them!

Sports of any kind is a money making opportunity.   If the Americans adhered to using only "amateur" athletes and every other country participating brought in professionals, would you think this is how we should approach this?   

Thank you for your imput.  

Why would you say I'm "suddenly upset?"  I didn't realize I came across as being UPSET.  I was simply commenting on something I'd been thinking about because the Olympics are going on NOW.  

The fact that most of the athletes who now compete are considered professionals in their fields just grated on me.  I KNOW it takes lots of money, time, devotion, support, etc. to become an Olympic athelete.  I have no illusions that the Olympics will ever be just for the non-pros.

I was just reminiscing about the old days when I was a teen and remembered that there was a lot of pride in being an Olympian BECAUSE you worked so hard and sacraficed so much to make your way to the Olympics.  It was a badge of honor.  The Olympics were special.  They aren't anymore.  You can see the same competitions among the same people  in other events around the globe.  For ME, the Olympics are just not like they were when I was young (and I'm in my LATE 60s).

Trusted Contributor

@AngusandBuddhasMom wrote:

The good old days?? 

The disparity between male and female athletes and sports as well as supposed lucrative contracts, stipends is huge.

A lot of athletes make zilch pursuing their Olympic goals and they are not Gov't sponsored or come from wealthy families. So whatever money they make good for them. 

The good old days meant everyone who was a successful athlete outside the USA was making money and ours were not.

I see nobody complaining about our professional college football and basketball players ...

Well...they WERE the good old days for ME.  That is my opinion.

Esteemed Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

Yea, they lost my support when that happened. But then again, the whole thing is so currupt...it just doesn't even matter any more. It's great to hear that so and so won a medal but beyond that, I don't care

and now it seems we are going to have our swimmers in a controvesy over making false robbery claims because they were so drunk they broke a door....SMH

Trusted Contributor

@kjae wrote:

hckynut----You are exactly right.  That is how this whole thing started.  We were trying to level the plain field, so to speak.   So those of you complaining would rather we send college kids and the other countries send professionals?  How is that good competition?  We are not going to ba able to change what the other countries do.

Were we losing medals left, right and center when we were sending the college kids?  No.  Sending pros that have been pro for many years deprives talented newbies from their chance at fame.  The message now is that unless you have the ability to go pro, just don't bother.

Read it! New England Journal of Medicine—May 21, 2020
Universal Masking in Hospitals in the Covid-19 Era

“We know that wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection.
Trusted Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@madzonie wrote:

This may have been discussed previously, but I just had to get something off my chest.

I remember when the Olympics used to be so strict about no "pro" athletes competing in what is supposed to be the ultimte in amatuer sports.  But slowly through the years, the powers in charge decided paid athletes would bring more interest....and more money....to the show.

Mix in TV and lucrative endorsements and commercials, over-the-top Hollywood-style opening ceremonies and we now have an event that no longer seems to showcase those dedicated and talented amatuer atheletes around the world.

One vivid recollection of this transition was when the so-called "dream team" pro basketball team went to Barcelona in 1992.  They were cocky and self-assured and acted like they couldn't be beaten.  I remember being a bit embarassed for our country at their behavior.

Another vivd memory of mine was when the amateur U.S. ice hockey team won gold at Lake Placid in the 1980 Winter Olympics.  They were the "Do you believe in miracles?" team that was cherished because they won when they were said to have no chance.

Now there are professional golfers, soccer & basketball players, tennis champs and on and on...

This kind of makes me miss the old days.

@madzonie

This has been going on for a while, so I'm surprised you are suddenly upset about it.  

Practicing to become Olympic-worthy is not cheap!   It takes years of training, practice and a good support system of adults around them!

Sports of any kind is a money making opportunity.   If the Americans adhered to using only "amateur" athletes and every other country participating brought in professionals, would you think this is how we should approach this?   

We were winning medals with private sponsors, and many medals are still won by people who pay their own way whenever possible.

“We know that wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection.
Trusted Contributor

Trusted Contributor

@AngusandBuddhasMom wrote:

The good old days?? 

The disparity between male and female athletes and sports as well as supposed lucrative contracts, stipends is huge.

A lot of athletes make zilch pursuing their Olympic goals and they are not Gov't sponsored or come from wealthy families. So whatever money they make good for them. 

The good old days meant everyone who was a successful athlete outside the USA was making money and ours were not.

I see nobody complaining about our professional college football and basketball players ...

I complain about all of the sports, but of course the disparity is huge!  Women don't have the same height, or lung and muscle power as men, and we don't participate as much, too.  Then there's the audience share and endorsement revenues to consider.  If the women delivered the same results, it would be different.