Respected Contributor

Product Rave (for Smelly Laundry)

Since we have gotten a front load washer, our clothes have been smelling musty. I tried everything (bleach with hot water, vinegar, "free and clear" detergents), and nothing worked. Our synthetic workout clothes and towels smelled the worst.

My sister recommended Sport Suds, and I tried it. OMG, it fixed the problem within 2-3 loads. They say it cleans out your system and strips the clothes of lingering detergent. I got it on Amazon for $22 (40 loads). You use one tiny scoop per load. It's pretty expensive but so worth it.

Any product raves you care to share?

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. ~ Desmond Tutu
Contributor

Re: Product Rave (for Smelly Laundry)

I have just bought a front loader and my daughter and friend say my sheets smell lousy I can’t smell it but had heard. about this problem 😩so will try ur recommendation, mind is a all in one machine which maybe makes it worse ...thanks for the post .

Esteemed Contributor

This is a BIG problem with front loaders.  There was a set in a house we bought.  I hated them for this reason.  Gunk would collect around the door of the washer.  Very little water is used and then part of the wash water is used for the rinse.

When we bought our next house, there was a brand new set of front loading washer and dryer.  I donated them and bought a no bells and whistles top loader.  I couldn't be happier and Hey, no stink!

I think it is a shame when you have to buy a special product to destink your washing machine.  There is a design flaw for sure.  Forget about saving water - I want clean clothes.

To the OP, I am glad you found a solution to your problem!

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Respected Contributor

Hints to help your washer from smelling musty.  Leave the door open a little ways to let air flow in, take an old wash cloth and dry the inside of the gasket and never let wet clothes sit in there.  There is another product for sport clothing: Atsko Sport-Wash Laundry Detergent.  I can buy it locally at Walmart or my Kroger stores.  I've had front loaders for years and years and have never had the "smell".

Honored Contributor

I've never owned a front-loading washer, but will file the info from this thread away for future reference.  Maybe just stick with top-loaders?

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

Surprising the OP was found. It’s from December 2013. 

Hopefully it helps somebody, though. 

Respected Contributor

@deepwaterdotterwrote:

I've never owned a front-loading washer, but will file the info from this thread away for future reference.  Maybe just stick with top-loaders?

The thread already was filed away - for four years lol

Honored Contributor

@VanSleepywrote:

@deepwaterdotterwrote:

The thread already was filed away - for four years lol

Oops!

Respected Contributor

I never saw it, or I don't remember ...one or the other. I'm glad it resurfaced.

Respected Contributor

Do you toss the scoop in the drum or put it in one of the little compartments in the drawer?