Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

Someone is  spreading a rumor that drinking celery  juice is the new miracle food....maybe that is why there is a shortage?

@SeaMaiden 

See post #16🙀☝️☝️☝️

Honored Contributor

We have celery but it’s very limp and not very good 

Honored Contributor

@Sweetbay magnolia wrote:

Though producers have to look at supply and demand and other "market forces" when they decide how much to plant and what to charge.  There are many variables in the equation.

Agriculture by it's very nature is uncertain (and there have been hold ups - perishables can't sit many hours before the quality degrades).

@Sweetbay magnolia.  That's why they haul perishables in "reefers" which are refrigerated trucks.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

We have celery in my grocery stores, but it's been looking terrible.  I wanted to make chicken noodle soup last week, and I needed celery.  The celery in the stores was limp with dark ends, I didn't buy any.  I don't know what the problem is.  

Valued Contributor

I recently bought organic celery at Whole Foods. It was a weekly special for $1.49. I stored it in green bags, and it's still as fresh as the day I bought it.

I buy a LOT of produce at the 99 cents store. Recent purchases include celery hearts, strawberries, living butter lettuce, a pound of shallots, Campari tomatoes, Heirloom tomatores, 2 huge leeks, 2 pounds of red onions, and English cucumbers. ALL of these are priced a 99 cents.

Honored Contributor

The celery has been pathetic this year!!  Omg since Christmas it was these dark green thin stalks.  I mean each stalk was about 1/4 inch.  I buy organic.  I just bought some at Trader joes in a bag with no tops and it was bigger.  We live mear Salinas where they grown a lot of celery.  The rain has been like nothing I have seen since 1994.  It has been raining since October.   Sometimes everyday for a week, then a break then rain again.  I think this has had an effect on all produce.  They Cherries around here just got blossoms!!!

Honored Contributor

I know I'm a couple days late on this thread but my husband was told the reason for no celery in the stores was due to flooding.

Honored Contributor

From a gardener's perspective, celery is a pain to grow. It wants lots of moisture, but not too much. It doesn't like it too hot or too cold. It takes a long time from seed to finished plant. If you want tender celery, you've got to blanch it by either gradually mounding soil around each individual plant or by shielding the bottom portion with cardboard or heavy brown paper. It's not an especially fun, easy, or rewarding plant to grow. And even if you grow it and get a bumper crop, it has a short shelf life, so you'll likely end up losing much of your harvest before you can use it. Grow it once and you'll decide to buy it afterwards.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

@gardenman   if my dad was alive, he would agree with you. HIs first job , when he left school, was bleaching celery ,in the fields. He hated it so much, after doing that , he never touched the stuff again

Trusted Contributor

Re: Produce shortage ?

[ Edited ]

@lovesrecess wrote:

I went to three grocery stores today to buy a bunch of celery. None of them had any except for the first store. At the first store, there were two other ladies also looking for celery. The produce manager said he had only one bunch left, He broke it into three sections and said we could each have a section for $2 each. No thanks! I went to the second and third stores and was told “ no celery due to the border situation”. They said no other produce was in short supply, only celery. Is this true in your area also? Am not about to pay $6 for celery; it was scrawny anyway!

I'm in IL, one of Chicago's NW suburbs. I've been having problems getting organic celery for weeks. I can't find it at Costco, Whole Foods has it for $5 a bunch & they're sickly, scrawny looking things, Fruitful Yield (local health food store ) has it for $4.59 per bunch, again they don't look very nice. I found some at Marianos yesterday for $3.79 for the bunch. I hunted through what was available until I found a decent looking bunch.