Esteemed Contributor

Look for the fine print on the back of the check where the endorsement goes. I imagine there are terms that state what an endorsement holds you liable for. When an unsolicited check arrives in the mail, it's pretty clear that it's not just free money!

Honored Contributor

@jannabelle1 This is a well known fraud. The check is no good.

Honored Contributor

@San Antonio Gal 

@KingstonsMom 

That is why I stated "if the bank manager says it's legit."

If the OP takes the word of a bank manager & it turns out to be fraud, the bank would be responsible I would think.

I made that statement before the OP fonted about the info her & son found which she did not mention in her original posting.

Now that I know, like others have stated it is a scam.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Esteemed Contributor

@Love my grandkids, yes, I know it's a fraud. I was trying to point out that the terms of the transaction (fraud) are usually printed on the back of the check. Knowing what the recipient is getting into if they cash the check should be enough to tell them there's nothing legitimate about it!

Honored Contributor

You THINK it's a scam.  LOL.  That thing is standing on a table, waving both arms and screaming " I AM A SCAM!"   Yeah, it's a scam.

Esteemed Contributor

@patbz wrote:

DH read enclosed info packet, they want him to buy $1000 worth of AMEXCO gift cards, open them and e-mail mail the code.  Clearly a fraud.

@patbz  it's a SCAM. I was reading along looking to see what they want in return. This has been around for years. Once the person deposits the check, and buys the gift cards, he is responsible for what happens next. Usually it was sending the money through Western Union, but now they are using gift cards.

The check bounces and he has to return the money to the Bank.

Don't know if I can say this but it's called the Nigerian Scam.