Esteemed Contributor

My son received a check that looked legit for $1500; $450 for him to keep for being a Whole Foods "Mystery Shopper" and the rest for expenses.  He didn't apply for position and the nearest Whole Foods is 3.5 hrs away ( haven't bought a thing from them in 15 years).  We think it is a scam ( deposit check, check bounces etc), what do you think/ know?

Trusted Contributor

It's a scam. You can google it as I just did and you'll see the info.

Honored Contributor

A bank manager can tell you very quickly.

Honored Contributor

@patbz    Call Whole Foods Corporate and ask them.  If your son has registered on one of the job search websites, it leaves him vulnerable to all kinds of scams. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@patbz  Take the check to your bank & ask the bank manager if it's legit.  If so, don't deposit it.  Cash it out!

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Esteemed Contributor

DH read enclosed info packet, they want him to buy $1000 worth of AMEXCO gift cards, open them and e-mail mail the code.  Clearly a fraud.

Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

@patbz  Take the check to your bank & ask the bank manager if it's legit.  If so, don't deposit it.  Cash it out!

If you cash out a check that comes back later as a problem, they will pull the money right out of your account.  I wouldn't suggest cashing out a check that is questionable @Mz iMac .  No one wins.

Honored Contributor

When it sounds too good to be true, it always is.

Good move to google and delete.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

@Mz iMac 

No way!

It takes an out of state check 10 days to clear (in my banks) and in that length of time, the scammers have your money and the bank charges you back for it, until you jump through hoops to prove it was a fraudulent transaction, to get your money back.

Not me!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

Re: Probable Scam

[ Edited ]

@patbz 

I've seen cases like this on JJ and The People's Court.

They are ALWAYS FRAUD AND A SCAM. Tell him to take all the materials to the local post office and turn them in to the postmaster in charge.