Trusted Contributor

Good morning. I keep a running list of my " want to buys" in Amazon. I put the item in my cart but then hit "save for later". That way, Amazon will alert me if the price changes. Yesterday, 5 of my items increased in price, all over $4. These are relatively inexpensive items, all $25 or less, so prices are going up dramatically. Don't know if this is a quick up/down trend, or if it's here to stay, but I'm guessing the latter. So glad we don't need high ticket items this year (knock on wood). Hopefully, we can all weather the storm with our bank accounts intact.

Honored Contributor

I do the same thing. Amazon's prices go up and down on a regular basis. If you can wait, prices will come down. 

Trusted Contributor

@CalminHeart wrote:

I do the same thing. Amazon's prices go up and down on a regular basis. If you can wait, prices will come down. 

I do the same but not sure I would bank on the prices coming back down

I have a boat load of stuff in my cart, primarily to make sure I can find it again.  I could be all wrong on this and I hope I am but I have my doubts. 

Good Luck to us all

This is also a good post for the people who seem to think prices are only going up on the Q.  Clearly those people don't do any grocery shopping.

Honored Contributor

I wish I were optimistic hat prices will slide back to their former levels, but there are so many forces on the whole world right now that I am skeptical.

Esteemed Contributor

Who didn't see this coming?

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Honored Contributor

I'm not sure what people mean by prices going back to former levels.

What levels are we talking about?  From food to gas to lumber etc. - what would be the former prices?  How would that be sustainable?

I found our brand of coffee has risen by $1.  I doubt it will return back to the former price.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Respected Contributor

I'm very surprised by the cost of paper products. I buy Wegman's brand of PT and TP. The TP went up $4.00 a pack, the PT went up $4.00 a pack and paper plates went up $4.00 a pack( all family size packs). I use Husky 42 gal. contractor bags to line cat's litter boxes and they went up by $3.00 for a 50 count box. I'm sure prices won't go back down, either.  I think the pandemic is being used as an excuse to rip us all off.

Honored Contributor

Re: Prices going up

[ Edited ]

@joannecha wrote:

Good morning. I keep a running list of my " want to buys" in Amazon. I put the item in my cart but then hit "save for later". That way, Amazon will alert me if the price changes. Yesterday, 5 of my items increased in price, all over $4. These are relatively inexpensive items, all $25 or less, so prices are going up dramatically. Don't know if this is a quick up/down trend, or if it's here to stay, but I'm guessing the latter. So glad we don't need high ticket items this year (knock on wood). Hopefully, we can all weather the storm with our bank accounts intact.

@joannecha 

Ive read interviews with Amazon Executives in the financial journals.... The price increases has been their normal method of operation in order to beat competitors for years and years way before the pandemic and its been a way for Amazon to grow and grow....It was described this way:

Say Target has Shark vacuums on sale ..... in order to beat their price Amazon will lower their price on Shark vaccums to beat Target's sale, and then Amazon will raise prices on other items to make up the difference....Amazon will fluctuate prices of around 1,000 items per day.  The Amazon Exec says they also count on the consumers to believe that the Amazon always the the lowest so most customers do not price compare....and he admited that Amazon doesnt always have the lowest price and people love love love Amazon's super fast delivery with their Prime Membership and are even willing to pay for Prime to get it...!!! 

So my advice I'd make sure you always compare prices with Amazon itself as well as with Amazon's competitors....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Respected Contributor

Article today, Tyson Foods raising it's prices 40% and more to come.

Respected Contributor

Years, and years, and years ago I noticed prices in my Amazon cart would go up. I stopped putting things in my cart or wishlist. Felt they knew I wanted them and would bump up the prices. 

So I started just writing things down to go back to and reevaluate. Or started checking my history for the items I was interested in. To me this current situation is just a continuation of their past practice, only now most things have naturally increased in price.