Esteemed Contributor

Re: Powers that be know we're getting SS increase

My wife is off on a Pet Sitting job for about a week. She just sent me a fb messenger telling me this. Her SS check was just deposited, and it is $200+ more than the previous months this year. 

What does that mean? Beats the **** out of me!

hckynut 🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

There has never been a year that my portion of payment toward my healthcare has not gone up.  This was true when I worked and the company paid part of it and I paid a small part.  It went up every year.  MEDICAL INSURANCE goes up every year.  No matter the kind of economic climate.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Esteemed Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

Nonsense.  The COLA has nothing to do with it.  Costs for service providers have gone up.  None of mine have increased.   Eighteen dollars is a small increase.

@Kachina624 Sorry to disagree--medicare goes up to match, nursing homes go up to match.  Everything eats and eats at any "COLA" given.  It's never enough to outpace what else goes up. 

@Sooner That's actually not the way that works.  The insurance goes up no matter the Medicare or Social Security.  Not every senior gets their retirement income from SSA.  Healthcare is a business model.  It goes up like the cost of food whenever they want it to.  Has nothing to do with COLA or SS.

Honored Contributor

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

Nonsense.  The COLA has nothing to do with it.  Costs for service providers have gone up.  None of mine have increased.   Eighteen dollars is a small increase.

@Kachina624 Sorry to disagree--medicare goes up to match, nursing homes go up to match.  Everything eats and eats at any "COLA" given.  It's never enough to outpace what else goes up. 

@Sooner That's actually not the way that works.  The insurance goes up no matter the Medicare or Social Security.  Not every senior gets their retirement income from SSA.  Healthcare is a business model.  It goes up like the cost of food whenever they want it to.  Has nothing to do with COLA or SS.

@gertrudecloset I could agree with you on that.  But then we'd both be wrong. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sooner wrote:

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@gertrudecloset I could agree with you on that.  But then we'd both be wrong. 

Welp...here's how I see it (at the moment) @Sooner :

Most who have responded within state the same thing I have.  That is, that Social Security has absolutely nothing to do with why healthcare costs go up.  That makes you an outlier.  With that being said only you would be wrong.  I won't be wrong with you.  You got that covered.  I and others who say different are actually right based on how this country treats healthcare.  It's not new or phenomenological that health care goes up with the industry decides it wants to.

Honored Contributor

After all is said and done between the decrease in Part B and the decrease in our Part D (doesn't matter that the deductible went up, my husbands meds are all Tier 1, so free) our combined increase for our supplements will be less than $20 a month.