Honored Contributor

@Bri36 wrote:

I'd go into hiding.   Lol

i wouldn't claim it until I had plans in place.   I wouldn't sleep until that ticket was turned in either.  Lol

@Bri36  You would be welcome to hide at our house.  I'd only charge you minimal rent-maybe around $20,000 per month?  Would that work for you??  LOL

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@nana59 wrote:

@Peoplearenuts wrote:

You are right about the gum -- she looked like a cow chewing the cud.  You would think the lottery people would  have given her a once over before she got on camera.

Well, now we know she'll be able to afford all the gum she wants!!  

@nana59@Peoplearenuts  I'm sure all involved had more on their minds than a silly piece of gum.

How polished would either of you be?  Sheesh.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Powerball Winner

[ Edited ]

I would have gotten all my ducks in order before coming forward.

Aside from hiring a lawyer, accountant & financial planner I would have changed my phone number & moved!!

I would then have arranged for a trustee to claim the prize & place the money in a trust. Then I would decide which charities I would donate to & to whom I may want to give some money to.

I of course would set up a trust for my son.I would cover his law school expenses & buy him a new car 🚗 !!

That's it!! Long lost relatives & friends who never had time for me would not get the time of day out of me let alone any money 💰!! 

I would live a quiet life.I would not live like I was rich.I would not buy a mansion.I would just be me, with a lot of money!!

Honored Contributor

Most of us here in the state can't believe she came forward within 12 hours of winning, it seems most unwise to me.

Respected Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

@Bri36 wrote:

I'd go into hiding.   Lol

i wouldn't claim it until I had plans in place.   I wouldn't sleep until that ticket was turned in either.  Lol

@Bri36  You would be welcome to hide at our house.  I'd only charge you minimal rent-maybe around $20,000 per month?  Would that work for you??  LOL

@Cakers3, deal!!!

Honored Contributor

They announced the wrong store that sold the winning ticket.  They first said a store in Watertown and it was actually a store in Chicopee.  The store in Watertown had been told they sold it then the MA Lottery Commission had to tell them that they wouldn't be getting the $50,000.

They showed the owner of that store looking quite dejected. 

Trusted Contributor

@millieshops wrote:

Okay -  anyone already have a financial advisor they think really knows how to handle that kind of money?  I don't -  I know they deal with millions, but hundreds of millions at one time???

I doubt there are many I'd trust -  but just getting that kind of money somewhere safe until decisions are made would be a real challenge.

My brother is a CFP (Certified Financial Planner). I live just 7 minutes away from him. I trust him more than any one. He's a very down to earth person and would know immediately what to do. I'm sure he would call his lawyer first and we would take it from there. I would NOT want to be known and l'm sure they would agree. A lot of that money would go to taxes. I've always given to charities so I would do that, probably anonymously. It's the right thing to do anyway. I would stay in my home I just moved in ... but l would travel, buy a nice home at my favorite vacation spot ... just 5 hours from where I live. I would buy my sister a new home because since her divorce she lives in an apartment. Set up a trust, of course but I would take care of all the legal matters first.

I have a feeling she didn't do any of that! She was probably so excited that she wanted people to know.... but she's definitely lost her privacy now! She will learn fast and will have to leave town for a while after taking care of all the necessary paperwork. I do wish her luck! 

Honored Contributor

Wow, out of the 788 million taxes took almost 500 million.

I'd never come out and make it public. Nobody would ever know it was us that won.

I'd help my one sister out, the other one , nah,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,LOL help churches, the local zoo, charities, etc.

Respected Contributor

What was she thinking?  Take the time to form a plan with professionals.  Does she think she can run the check to the bank and throw it into her checking account?  She will be hounded until she can't even have a life.  Now every scam artist will promise her the moon to invest her money etc.  I can certainly understand being excited, but you also need to use your head.

Honored Contributor

Are there any current/former Lotto Winners

on any US net worth rankings?

🤔