Occasional Contributor
Hi I don't post here often but have a question. We currently have a 5 year old husky mix from a rescue group we have had her 3 years love her to death. She is very spoiled. We are considering adopting a 8 year old husky mix from the same rescue. He is very timid and shy he has lived his whole life on a chain prior to rescue two months ago. We started fostering him today as a trial. Our female dog is being very territorial. Any suggestions on helping resolve this so they both can be happy? Lisa
Respected Contributor

This site has some good information

http://www.homewardtrails.org/resources/dogs/introducing-dogs-to-dogs/

It takes time but is worth it. I am glad you are trying another rescue dog.

doxie

Regular Contributor

I don't know if this will help but when I rescued a lab my cocker was queen bee at our house and was having NONE of it. (She even helped me raise a litter of kittens). I was stunned because she was VERY sweet natured. We had to put Queen Bee on a leash and take her away from the yard, let them get used to each other on neutral ground, and bring them back into the yard together. Worked like a charm. Queen Bee was 10 and lab was 7. They were best buds for 6 1/2 years before I had to let the lab go to the Bridge.

Best of luck to you. I would love to hear how it works out if you feel like sharingSmiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

I must say, that I watched a video of Cesar Millan, 45 minutes, and what he did was put a simple rope leash between the 2 dogs, and had the younger (or older in your case) lead each other around for one to teach the other, without a fight, and lets the lead dog (meaning your older dog) lead the younger, newer dog, bond and make for a very well intervention and subsequent ability for the 2 to live together........Cool It allowed for a alpha/omega to live in harmony.......{#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

The strength of the wolf is the pack, and the strength of the pack is the wolf.......
Occasional Contributor
Thanks everyone. I will let you know how it goes. So far not too bad so hopefully that's a good sign Smiley Happy
Respected Contributor

We had 3 dogs (all rescues) and recently adopted a 4th rescue December 8. Ideally, you should introduce the dogs on neutral ground - not in the home. In our case that was not possible as our new dog came from Texas.

Just have a lot of patience is all I can say. Our dogs pretty much ignored the new girl for a couple of weeks. Some would hide in the other rooms. My oldest would growl if she went towards the food bowl I had set up for her in my bathroom. (We feed two downstairs, and the oldest upstairs in the bedroom.) I would have to stand guard so she could eat. There has never been any fighting or any of that.

Now the newest dog pretty much just eats downstairs with the other two. Everyone is getting along fine.

I believe it will work itself out. Just pay equal amounts of attention to both, and give them both their space and time away from the other dog as needed.

You're doing such a wonderful thing. It's hard when you know their prior life. Our 3rd dog was used for breeding in a puppy mill and spent his life in a cage. They think he was around 10 years old when we got him. He was underweight, had bad skin and bald patches. It was so wonderful watching him adjust to a home and grass and a yard to run.

Honored Contributor

First,I had a Husky/Lab mix, a dream dog she turned out to be, Being in rescue for many years in the past, I have heard so many horror stories of how dogs are treated, one was about a St. Bernard that was confined to the basement his entire life, only to see the light of day when his area was cleaned, now that I label as extreme abuse.That is very normal for a female. Smiley Happy

This will happen at first, but in time, when she realizes that he is there to stay, the dogs will work it out. My female had only been with me for two months, and when I rescued another terrier, she went straight to DD's room, lifted her leg, and marked the frame of the door, we stood there in shock that she lifted her leg, LOL, so this will happen at first, but in time, when she realizes that he is there to stay, the dogs will work it out. The male is a sweetheart, so he lets her be the boss, as if she would have it any other way, and they are best buddies and love each other.

Honored Contributor
Your female will undoubtedly be the boss and is showing him who is in charge. Generally males and females don't fight. If they should get into a real physical battle, I'd rethink the adoption. I have a large alpha male collie who is not nice to doggy visitors, male or female, so I'm unable to foster other dogs now. I also have two females but they understand his "rules". I have had dogs that fight and have found it's impossible to correct this.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment