Respected Contributor

Re: Posters Will Try Anything

I'm waiting for the 3D printer that can spit out bacon and cupcakes and annoying things you want a tablespoon of for a recipe but not a whole jar, like capers and cornichons.

Oh, I forgot. We're supposed to be fuming because some people are trying to do end runs around posting policy. Sorry, I'm all fumed out today. Besides, as long as there are jerks, the mods have jobs. If things get too clean around here, they'll use bots. I would miss Beth and Susan and April and Marvin and . . . 

Esteemed Contributor

@I am still oxox wrote:

@makena wrote:

People are slick thinking they can post links on a side wall.  I've seen several attempts at this.  Give the mods more credit than that.

After all this time I still can't get over how some people just flat out simply refuse to follow the rules.  It's fairly easy to me -- join the community based on the guidelines clearly stated.  Act like an adult.

What pray tell is posting on a side wall?

I was wondering the same thing.

Trusted Contributor

All I can say is, we're all adults here.  If anyone is so thin skinned that an ever changing side wall article offends them, they need to stay off the Internet.  Those side wall articles, and ads change all the time.  May not be the same as when someone posted a link.  Some folks get their panties in knot just way to easy!

Esteemed Contributor

I can see why the Mods zap links that go to sites that have political sidewalls.

Let me give an example.

Someone says, "Here's a link to an article about why kittens are so cute"

When one would click on that link, on the sidewall, are political stories.

Another person come here and says, "Good article, but did you see that one story on the side about how plants have feelings?"

And off to the races we go.

So, the Mods decide to head off that argument at the pass, before it even has a chance to begin.

Honored Contributor

@makena wrote:

People are slick thinking they can post links on a side wall.  I've seen several attempts at this.  Give the mods more credit than that.

After all this time I still can't get over how some people just flat out simply refuse to follow the rules.  It's fairly easy to me -- join the community based on the guidelines clearly stated.  Act like an adult.

I heard there are some openings for mods. You should apply. Woman Wink

Honored Contributor

Ummmmm, I could just post this link for this thread to the thread "have you learned anything" since I had never heard of a Sidewall until today. 

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Respected Contributor

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

I can see why the Mods zap links that go to sites that have political sidewalls.

Let me give an example.

Another person come here and says, "Good article, but did you see that one story on the side about how plants have feelings?"

So, the Mods decide to head off that argument at the pass, before it even has a chance to begin.

So, is the root of the problem siderails that no one can control or posters who derail (pun intended) thread topics?

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Esteemed Contributor

@IamMrsG wrote:

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

Let me give an example.

So, is the root of the problem siderails that no one can control or posters who derail (pun intended) thread topics?

The political side story is a No-No.

Someone comes here to talk about that political side story.

That is also a No-No.

It's both.

Honored Contributor

@Plaid Pants2, the hypothetical scenario that you set up in which a poster links to a thread with a political banner on the sidewall that then another poster brings up is certainly possible, but I have not seen it happen. But it could happen. And then the mods would deal with both issues.

My main objection to his thread is that the OP is accusing people of willfully posting a link to an "innocent" page that happens to have something controversial to the side. I truly doubt that anyone does that

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Trusted Contributor

I agree with suzyQ3, I seriously doubt anyone had ever tried to do that on purpose.  I do believe a thin skin person didn't like a post, so they looked for any reason they could find to have it removed.  Sometimes it's as if the mods remove things without either reading a total thread, and sometimes it's tough to believe they even read before they delete a post.  All in all, I've seen things be removed that you had to stretch the rules to find a reason for.  No, I wouldn't want to be a moderator, and I find it even more humorous they are even here.  How do people function in the real world without moderators?  LOL!