Respected Contributor

Re: Postage going up, again.

@LizzieInSRQ wrote:

@Ainhisg wrote:

We use small home-owned companies for our trash service, yard service, and water irrigation needs. They don't offer any kind of online payment, so I have to mail their payments. I have to pay quarterly taxes, and the federal government doesn't allow any kind of payments but snail mail. I send out about 20 Christmas cards a year. So I do still buy stamps.

I just looked up about Estimated Quarterly Federal Tax payment method and you can pay online, by phone or through a mobile device using the IRS2Go app.

You may  want to contact your mom&pop businesses regarding free payment methods like Zelle or Venmo which is a product through your bank to theirs. Its easy peasy.  I do ths with my landscaper to avoid credit card charges thst they charge more for or having to write a check or cash and having to be home. 

Ive only had to buy stamps in for mailing birthday and christmas cards. I hope this helps

@LizzieInSRQ thank you so much for this information.  I had no idea I could pay online to the IRS.  I went to the IRS site and found the IRS2Go information.  Went through the majority of the steps for the id.me website the IRS website uses for identification, and as the id.me website became more and more invasive concerning the information they needed (for lack of a better word), I got uneasy and went online to google the app/website.  

It is considered safe but there are caveats, and a few websites mentioned that if it were ever hacked, a person using the service would be in a world of hurt. (paraphrasing) I realize that to "id me" that it is going to need the information for which it was asking, but I just felt uncomfortable enough about the whole situation to google how to delete my account and did so.  I hadn't finished setting it up all the way, but it had enough information that I was able to log onto the website to close the account.  (Closing was all I could do--it supposedly deleted the sensitive information--but didn't delete the account entirely.)

Anyway!  I will consider asking the local businesses about Venmo and Zelle, so thank you for that information!

Valued Contributor

The post office can take their stamps and stick them elsewhere .

I've been fed up for months with bad home service. The carrier can't even put mail that belongs to my address in the box. She can't read or be bothered so I'm cutting loose of the USPS.

Honored Contributor

@Ainhisg You can  pay taxes including quarterly estimates on line via the IRS site.  No snail mail involved.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I almost never buy stamps anymore.  Pay all bills online. And my credit cards. Don't write letters.  My husband more then me. He buys Forever stamps.  He uses snail mail sometimes. 

Super Contributor

OP:  thanks for the reminder!!

why give them any more $$ than i have too?? 

going to tomorrow to drop a package, so wil buy them tomorrow!!

Respected Contributor

There are not many things that cost 68 cents, but you can have a card delivered for 68 cents to someone 1000 miles away. It's a good deal.

Respected Contributor

Thanks for the warning. I hadn't heard this.

Esteemed Contributor

@Iwantcoffee wrote:

There are not many things that cost 68 cents, but you can have a card delivered for 68 cents to someone 1000 miles away. It's a good deal.

@Iwantcoffee  That's true and also delivery of mail and packages right to my door regardless of the weather every day and sometimes packages even delivered on Sunday.  I have no problem with the post office.

Respected Contributor

IMHO the postal employees are the hardest working, most dependable workers in the government.

I'll pay the increase. Cat Happy

Honored Contributor

@hkrgrl wrote:

OP:  thanks for the reminder!!

why give them any more $$ than i have too?? 

going to tomorrow to drop a package, so wil buy them tomorrow!!

@hkrgrl - post office is closed tomorrow- holiday. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?