Trusted Contributor

I chaperoned a high school trip to Italy/Greece over spring break.  It was with the high school I retired from.  Previous to the lockdown, I chaperoned a good 10 trips over each spring break.  This year was definitely different.  I now live 4 hours away, so I had to plan to be back in NY a few days earlier and stay an extra 2 days.  Plus the rules re covid testing were changing quickly. 

When I retired, the 2022 senioir class were freshmen, so I knew I would not know many of the students.  And ... I'm 4 years older and was afraid I would not be able to keep up with all the walking we do.  

Italy was beautiful, of course.  My 4th time visiting; never gets old.  In Athens, the last full day of our trip, the weather was awful.  It rained all day.  Walking out of a cafe after lunch, I slipped and fell on my right shoulder.  Ugh.  Thank goodness no bones sticking out!  The next day we had an 11 hour flight back to NY.  Tuesday I went to urgent care and had xrays taken.  No fractures.  But my shoulder still hurts.  My next trip back to NY, I need to see my doctor.  

So ... In the past, I was back to work the next day, exhausted but at my desk.  But I don't think I bounced back this time. A couple of nights I slept 10 hours!

Next week I'm taking a bus trip to Savannah & Charleston with our local senior center.  I'm expecting this one to be much more tame!

Respected Contributor

We love to travel and have been known to extend our stays at various places because we aren't ready to come home.  Our usual stay is 10 days, incorporating two week-ends.  Yes, it is somewhat of a bummer to come home, those suitcases need to be unpacked Smiley Very Happy.

Honored Contributor

I like having at least a day off before I go back work after I come back from traveling.  That gives me time to unpack everything, do laundry, grocery shop.  

When I came back from my cruise in March, we got back Thursday evening and luckily I didn't go back to work until Monday.  I wouldn't say I get in a slump and I definitely don't put off unpacking.  I want everything done and in order before I go back to work.

Esteemed Contributor
I love to travel and I have missed it. I did manage to go to Croatia and Italy (we have a second home there) in September. I was tired after the trip more than usual. It was stressful as I became Ill in Slovenia & had to visit the ER; it was thought I may have had COVID. The ER was terrible as there were high COVID levels there at the time. I left because I thought I’d get COVID there if I didn’t have it. I remembered I had test kits in my suitcase which were negative as was a PCR test next day. It was stressful traveling with restrictions and we were tested often. You worry about the test results especially the final one before traveling home. So I felt this trip but after a day was ok

After I travel, I gather all the clothes I’ve worn and send them out to a pick up service. They wash/fold, iron & hang shirts & return everything in three days. The suitcases are back in storage next day.

We were scheduled to travel to Ukraine, the Baltic’s, Finland & Russia in September which, of course & sadly canceled.

As I’ve gotten older, I’m starting to feel travel more, getting up very early and fast moving tours are tiring & the above trip probably would have been my last big trip. We rebooked another tour for September.