Honored Contributor

Don't get me wrong, I love traveling, seeing friends, staying at a nice hotel.  However, I don't care if we're gone for a couple of days, a week, or more, it seems like I fall into a slump when it's over.  I'm tired, I stall on unpacking, and I feel pretty lazy for a few days.  I'm sitting here thinking and planning meals for this week and everything I come up with is something that takes very little effort.  Is it an age thing or what?  Anyone else experience this after traveling or do you bounce right back into your normal routine?

Esteemed Contributor

Don't travel and certainly don't bounce much either.

Honored Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch - We don't travel as much as we used to, but we still travel to visit family and good friends. 

I'm like you. Usually there's nothing in the refrigerator, until we stock up again. I do unpack wet swimsuits, but the rest waits until I feel like unpacking. Obviously I do get the essentials we need unpacked! 

But I usually am a little "down" for a few days, especially if we'd recently stayed in a nice hotel!  Smiley Wink

Honored Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch 

When we travel I typically like to return on a Thursday or Friday so I have time to unpack, do laundry & ironing before having to go back to work on Monday.  I "build in" a few "bounce back" days because I can't stand for things to be undone especially knowing that once Monday rolls around my get caught up at the office post-vacation is not going to be fun.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Honored Contributor

@fthunt wrote:

Don't travel and certainly don't bounce much either.

Me neither.  But I wish I did bounce, especially when I fall down.

Trusted Contributor

We are the the point now that we need a vacation from taking a vacation.  We are exhausted by the time we get home from being on the go all the time. 

Honored Contributor

@CoffeeNut wrote:

We are the the point now that we need a vacation from taking a vacation.  We are exhausted by the time we get home from being on the go all the time. 

Exactly! 

Honored Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch - oh absolutely know exactly what you are feeling.  I go through a big slump after I travel.  Its normal - at least I think it is.  

Honored Contributor

Re: Post Travel Slump

[ Edited ]

I do not travel well at all, and do not enjoy it, period.  

I am wiped out after a trip to the VA for my husbands appts, whether he's there for one appt or multiples.  One appt can take us to multiple floors.

Every month I go with one of my daughters to an appt 2 hours away; we ride for 2 hours, her appt takes nearly 2 hours, and the drive back is 2 hours.  I am worthless after this trip, and we go again tomorrow.

To me, being home is wonderful!

Respected Contributor

Although we're retired, because we have two little dogs and don't trust anyone to care for them, we don't travel. It was a decision we made together. Sometimes hubby flies to Virginia to see his daughter and his grands. About once a year I fly to Michigan to visit my grandson. That's about it. We would never get over it if we paid someone to take care of our doggies and something bad happened. 

Harmonize the World