Honored Contributor

Re: Post From a Fast Food Worker

@Duckncover wrote:

There are " help wanted" signs on almost every restaurant or business around here. I think a quick solution is to move most of the WM employees to those places who are desperate for workers since most WM employees I have seen are never actually working, but staring at their phone by a rack of clothes or sitting in the shoe dept giggling on their phone. Sometimes they are just yukking it up with each other in a big group. It seems WM has way more workers than it needs since it's usually one cashier and the rest are self-checkout stands. Many of those stocking shelves are actually vendors who work for a food company and not for WM. 

I think the response to this plan would be that no one would ever work for Walmart, for fear of getting swept up in your forced labor allocation plan.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

@GoneButNotForgotten wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

Well, that is part of the "joy" of having a job.   Sorry, but life isn't fair, everyone isn't nice, and you are fortunate to have a job.  

What does this guy think the police put up with?  Postal workers, and about anyone that has a job now.  

LIfe is hard on a lot of people.  So it's time for people to calm down, realize that it is hard for everyone and be nice.  You don't know what kind of day the folks at the window have had either--so have a little sympathy for others. Count your blessings and try to bless someone else today.  

I'll bet you never had a job like this. 

@GoneButNotForgotten Well, you lose!  

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

While I am sure there are some who lose their temper, there are many more that do not.  I will have to say that some of these places really need to do a better job informing their customers about the current services and delays. Once sat for more than half an hour in a drive thru line with no way out.  Would not have stopped there had I known how long it would be.  A simple sign informing of long delays, limited menu items, etc help eliminate frustration.

@CrazyDaisythat happened to us...long delays without explanation and no way out of the line and then a guy on a bicycle carrying something in a brown paper bag started going to each car window.  When he approached us I felt like here we are, sitting ducks.  We had rolled up our window before he got to us and suddenly the line started to move ahead and I told my husband pull out of the line, let's get out of here and we did. 

Regular Contributor

@KingstonsMom  I went to a fast food restaurant yesterday after runnng my errands.  I noticed only one of the lanes was open and wondered why.  I sat in line for quite a while and was going to leave but didn't.  When I got to the kiosk to order it had a sign that they were very short handed and could only take a couple orders at a time to please be patient.  The doors were locked and no one could go inside.  I was patient and thanked the worker when he gave me his order.  It looked like there were only 2 people working.  A doordash person came to pick up food and he told her he would have to bring it out to her as she couldn't come in.  I felt sorry for the two people I saw.  It's really a shame.

It is what it is!!!
Honored Contributor

@Johnnyeager wrote:

Some really, really unfortunate responses.  But not surprising.  

I pegged the direction as soon as I read the opening post, @Johnnyeager 

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I applaud him for doing that and for standing up for his employees. Some people do behave like spoiled entitled children. 

If you don't have the patience to wait and act like an adult then don't eat out. There are other options for food. I bet most of these types couldn't handle one day of working in a restaurant.

WCVB

DOVER, N.H. —

As the COVID-19 pandemic continues, restaurants across New Hampshire are experiencing problems with unruly customers, and some businesses are taking action.

Newick's Lobster House in Dover has been the talk of social media after posting a sign at the front of the restaurant saying that customers who "feel the need to rant and rave like a spoiled child" will be asked to leave.

"Unfortunately, the first day I put up the sign, I had to ask people to leave that night," said owner Steve Newick.

Like many restaurants, Newick's is short-staffed. Add high clam and lobster prices to the mix, and customers aren't happy.

"We've designed our menu around having less staff," Newick said. "There are certain items we can't offer. Again, that makes people unhappy, but we have to do what we have to do."

Newick said he put out the sign to stand up for his employees and other, smaller restaurants that are facing similar problems.

"We just decided it was time to speak out and say enough is enough, because it's happening more than it used to," Newick said.

He said that so far, the responses have been good, with many customers applauding their efforts. But Newick said he can't understand why people are acting this way.

"That's when I realized, they're not going to yell at someone who might have authority to stand up to them," he said. "They're just looking for someone to bully. And that's just not acceptable."

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Super Contributor

DOVER, N.H. —

As the COVID-19 pandemic continues, restaurants across New Hampshire are experiencing problems with unruly customers, and some businesses are taking action.

Newick's Lobster House in Dover has been the talk of social media after posting a sign at the front of the restaurant saying that customers who "feel the need to rant and rave like a spoiled child" will be asked to leave.

"Unfortunately, the first day I put up the sign, I had to ask people to leave that night," said owner Steve Newick.

Like many restaurants, Newick's is short-staffed. Add high clam and lobster prices to the mix, and customers aren't happy.

"We've designed our menu around having less staff," Newick said. "There are certain items we can't offer. Again, that makes people unhappy, but we have to do what we have to do."

Newick said he put out the sign to stand up for his employees and other, smaller restaurants that are facing similar problems.

"We just decided it was time to speak out and say enough is enough, because it's happening more than it used to," Newick said.

He said that so far, the responses have been good, with many customers applauding their efforts. But Newick said he can't understand why people are acting this way.

"That's when I realized, they're not going to yell at someone who might have authority to stand up to them," he said. "They're just looking for someone to bully. And that's just not acceptable."

Newicks is the best and I remember there always being a long long line to get in. 

Respected Contributor

I feel sorry for EVERY business out there, they all need workers. You have to ask yourselves WHY?  Why are people not working when there are soooo many jobs - every kind of job imaginable - available?

Honored Contributor

You never know in the moment what someone is going through that day, that moment.  So would you trade places with them, not knowing?  Probably your problems would start to look pretty small most days compared to a lot of folks, and you never know which ones. 

Respected Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

Bad apple customers are ruining things for everyone else.

@Porcelain You have hit the nail on the head!!! This is why no one who was in the food service industry wants to return- they probably had time to reflect while off and realize they don't want to return and get treated like cr@@ by customers who don't have a clue what they go through everyday.

So sad that people can do that to other people.