Respected Contributor

Re: Poor at 20, poor for life

"Noel7 Studies and research show that, as a group, college graduates will make much more money over their lifetime than those who only graduate from high school."

Not if they don't even get started on that job until they are in their 30's.  And, there is an unknown there about how much money is enough.  I still say, you have to have determination to make a good living for your station in life, no matter what academic background you have. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@151949

September 2015

The nation’s nursing workforce has reached a critical tipping point. In 2011, for the first time ever, the number of nurses who earned baccalaureate degrees in the science of nursing (BSN) was higher than the number who earned two-year associate degrees in nursing (ADN), according to a recent study of newly available government data about nurse education.

http://www.rwjf.org/en/library/articles-and-news/2015/09/more-nurses-with-bachelors-degrees.html

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@MomCat wrote:

"Noel7 Studies and research show that, as a group, college graduates will make much more money over their lifetime than those who only graduate from high school."

Not if they don't even get started on that job until they are in their 30's.  And, there is an unknown there about how much money is enough.  I still say, you have to have determination to make a good living for your station in life, no matter what academic background you have

@MomCat

Sorry, but that is not correct, and that's been backed up by facts for quite awhile.

Please note I said "as a group."  Of course there is always the exception such as Bill Gates.

Trusted Contributor

I think that there's a lot of truth to this article, though as always, there are plenty of exceptions.  I'd say that 20 years old is too young of a benchmark, considering that most professionals are still in college and carrying debt.  I think what the article is implying is that the social status you were born into and the workplace connections it can bring you, probably count for more social upward mobility than your own hard work and ambition.

My favorite part of the article: "If you're in the middle, you're stuck in the middle, which means there's less space for others to move into the middle,"  she said.  "That suggests there's just a whole bunch of insecurity going on in terms of what it means to be a worker.  You can't educate your way up."

I agree that upward mobility has slowed down, and it's naive to think that things are the same now as they were 3-6 decades ago, as many on this thread have suggested.  That doesn't mean that a person should quit trying though.  If one is attending college, then choose a lucrative major, work hard, work smart.  It's no guarantee, but it'll improve one's chances.

Honored Contributor

Today getting a college degree causes a huge debt. Unless there is a way to keep someone from going into a lifetime of debt, I can see why some may choose not to go down this road. Some of my friends who are now medical docs have huge educational debt. Takes a long time to work it off when you have other bills.

Honored Contributor

USA NEWS Report

(Also available from many other sources with the same information)

Study: Income Gap Between Young College and High School Grads Widens

A college degree is increasingly valuable, in part because a high school diploma is less and less so.

Full story here:

http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/2014/02/11/study-income-gap-between-young-college-and-high-schoo...

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@151949 wrote:

@bri20 wrote:

My daughter is going to be 20 and she's going to be a college sophomore.  Her major is nursing. 

I can't imagine what kind of a job she'd get where she could make decent money and advance without a college degree. 

She's a typical college student.  She has a car that we bought her in high school.  She pays for gas and insurance.  We support her.  I'm not sure how she could make it otherwise.

Do you realize that there are many nurses out there without college degrees or that she could have become an RN thru community college then got a job at a hospital where they will pay her tuition to get her BSN and her MSN should she choose to do that? No college loan - no putting parents into the poorhouse and the satisfaction of doing it on your own. Too bad high school counselors don't tell kids this before they get mired in student loan debt.

Personally, I think it is a horrible shame that they closed hospital based nursing schools as they produced a much better nurse with much more clinical experience than a college program does. In nursing clinical experience is much more useful than book knowledge.

________________________________________________________-

Since this is what I do and the majority of the classes I teach are in the RN-BSN program I can state this is not true anymore today.  Hospitals have long slashed their tuition reimbursement all the while tuition for college courses has continued to rise.  It is no longer possible in moscases for someone to obtain an associate degree in nursing, get a job, and have the employer finance the BSN degree.  Those days have  long been over.  In most areas, the amount of tuition reimbursement that hospitals provide covers a fraction of the cost.

And the horse has already left the barn in regard to BSN nurses.  Multiple research studies that have been validated by follow up research document that hospitals employing more BSN prepared nurses is associated with decreased mortality rates and higher quality outcomes. 

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Honored Contributor

Hi @pitdakota ! : )

Thank you for the facts.

Honored Contributor

@pitdakota wrote:

@151949 wrote:

@bri20 wrote:

My daughter is going to be 20 and she's going to be a college sophomore.  Her major is nursing. 

I can't imagine what kind of a job she'd get where she could make decent money and advance without a college degree. 

She's a typical college student.  She has a car that we bought her in high school.  She pays for gas and insurance.  We support her.  I'm not sure how she could make it otherwise.

Do you realize that there are many nurses out there without college degrees or that she could have become an RN thru community college then got a job at a hospital where they will pay her tuition to get her BSN and her MSN should she choose to do that? No college loan - no putting parents into the poorhouse and the satisfaction of doing it on your own. Too bad high school counselors don't tell kids this before they get mired in student loan debt.

Personally, I think it is a horrible shame that they closed hospital based nursing schools as they produced a much better nurse with much more clinical experience than a college program does. In nursing clinical experience is much more useful than book knowledge.

________________________________________________________-

Since this is what I do and the majority of the classes I teach are in the RN-BSN program I can state this is not true anymore today.  Hospitals have long slashed their tuition reimbursement all the while tuition for college courses have continued to rise.  It is no longer possible in moscases for someone to obtain an associate degree in nursing, get a job, and have the employer finance the BSN degree.  Those days have  long been over.  In most areas, the amount of tuition reimbursement that hospitals provide covers a fraction of the cost.

And the horse has already left the barn in regard to BSN nurses.  Multiple research studies that have been validated by follow up research document that hospitals employing more BSN prepared nurses is associated with decreased mortality rates and higher quality outcomes. 

THIS ^^^^^

@pitdakota

I was in the hospital a few weeks ago.  There was a complication.  It was the BSN nurse in the room who had mere minutes to save my life, and she did.

God Bless Nurses Heart

Respected Contributor

@Mj12 wrote:

Hi @pitdakota ! : )

Thank you for the facts.

Hi @Mj12.  yes, even when I went back long ago to obtain a BSN, tuition reimbursement in my hospital only covered about 50% of the tuition.  It was the same amount when I returned to grad school.  Only thing is that tuition for grad school is much higher!

Within the last 10-15 years hospitals have decreased the amount of tuition reimbursement for their nurses, so it covers even less today. 

Sometimes there are grant funded programs or special arrangements where a hospital enters a partnership with a university so that nurses employed in that hospital can attend a Doctorate in Nursing Practice program with the agreement that the nurse will work as a DNP at that hospital for a number of years.

But it is certainly not accurate to say that just anybody can obtain an Associate Degree in Nursing, get a job, and then have the employer pay for the BSN and MSN.  In my dreams!!   I would love that because it would mean more students for us.....but it just isn't the case.  It is a challenge that we all face......educators, nurses, and hospitals. 

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *