Honored Contributor

Re: Please Don't Thank A Veteran On Memorial Day

@Alsee wrote:

Why not??  You don't have to be deceased to be remembered and thanked for your service.  Living veterans deserve the honor as well.

I can't imagine a veteran getting upset, disgusted or angry at being honored in any way on Memorial Day. People are demonstrating (however "incorrectly") that they care, and honor all of our veterans.

It wasn't too long ago that Vietnam veterans never got anything but scorn. A bit "too much" (to some), "misplaced" (again, to some) honor is I'm sure *very* welcome to them.

We could have half a dozen days a year honoring those who serve and have served, and it would not be "inappropriate."

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I prefer to honor those killed in action on Memorial Day, and veterans on Veteran's Day.  It just makes sense to me - each holiday has its own unique purpose.  Naturally, however, veterans don't mind being thanked on Memorial Day, who would?

Respected Contributor

@Jpn10037 wrote:

My DH and I are both veterans. Feel free to tell either of us thanks for our service and sacrifice on Memorial Day, Veteran's Day, or any day. 

Smiley Happy Thank you both from my heart.

Esteemed Contributor

I thanked a Vet last Memorial Day...someone i know.....instead of saying nothing....(it was n an e-mail) or saying Thank You...he brought me up short by saying this is NOT a day for Thanking...but a Day for REemembering...

I was terribly embarassed....and hurt...and quite surprised by his reaction....as in past years...(i have known him for at least 20 years)..he has always said Thank You...

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]
@Jpn10037 wrote:

My DH and I are both veterans. Feel free to tell either of us thanks for our service and sacrifice on Memorial Day, Veteran's Day, or any day. 

Smiley Happy Thank you both from my heart every day going forward and every day passed.Heart

Honored Contributor

National Moment of Remembrance: Memorial Day 3:00pm

National Moment of Remembrance

Established by Congress, it asks all Americans, at 3:00pm local time, to pause in an act of national unity for a duration of one minute.

Honored Contributor

from the feedourvets.org website:

Memorial Day is more than just a chance to fire up the grill — it’s a day created to honor men and women who have died in military service. It’s an opportunity for kids and families to take some time, whether it’s a few minutes or a full day, to recognize and thank veterans, troops, and their families. You can go to your town’s Memorial Day parade, send a heartfelt letter of thanks, or volunteer your time in honor of those who’ve served.

http://www.feedourvets.org/news/ways-to-honor-veterans-and-military-families-this-memorial-day/

http://www.feedourvets.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/MemorialDay.jpg

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

I always cringe when I hear someone say "Happy" Memorial Day.  Sounds like an oxymoron to me.

If your are in the armed services thank you for your service.  For those who lost their lives defending our country, we honor your memory and remember your sacrifice and those you left behind. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

From the U.S. Dept of Veteran's Affairs website...

Q. What is the difference between Veterans Day and Memorial Day?

A. Many people confuse Memorial Day and Veterans Day. Memorial Day is a day for remembering and honoring military personnel who died in the service of their country, particularly those who died in battle or as a result of wounds sustained in battle. While those who died are also remembered, Veterans Day is the day set aside to thank and honor ALLthose who served honorably in the military - in wartime or peacetime. In fact, Veterans Day is largely intended to thank LIVING veterans for their service, to acknowledge that their contributions to our national security are appreciated, and to underscore the fact that all those who served - not only those who died - have sacrificed and done their duty.

Also from the site...

THE MUFFLED drum's sad roll has beat

The soldier's last tattoo;

No more on Life's parade shall meet

That brave and fallen few.

On Fame's eternal camping-ground

Their silent tents are spread,

And Glory guards, with solemn round,

The bivouac of the dead.

by Theodore O'Hara

~~~ I call dibs on the popcorn concession!! ~~~
Esteemed Contributor

My husband and I are both Navy vets. The day is supposed to be about those who made the ultimate sacrifice. However if someone thanked us for our service we would politely say Thank you as what a nice thing to say.

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.