Honored Contributor

Re: Planning a wedding for 450??

March is 6 months away.  Maybe they booked this in hopes that things will be back to normal at that time.  If it's not, unless the venue wants to be in trouble, I'm guessing there will be changes made or a full cancellation.  

I don't see anything wrong with having 450 people at a wedding if that's what they want to do.  It's their wedding and their business.  Perhaps the bride and the groom come from large families and/or are in a business where they know a lot of people.  I had 300 people at my wedding because we both have large extended families. 

Honored Contributor

@Johnnyeager wrote:

In the past few days in NYC a 350 person wedding was shut down and facility owners were taken in and issued summons.  There was a live band and dancing, along with food and bar service. 

Similarly,  a packed karaoke bar in downtown Manhattan was raided and shuttered due to illegal crowds.  The owners and door security were issued summons.

Both locations remain closed and likely will lose business operating and liquor licenses.   Wonder if it was worth it?

@Johnnyeager , they are a lot more strict in NYC than they are in Ohio.

There have been several bars in Ohio cited for breaking various rules.  Some for being too crowded and not practicing social distancing, some for still allowing drinking past 11:00 p.m.

Several if not all of these bars cited have a choice to either lose their liquor license for a couple of days or they pay a small fine.  This is on a first offense.  Not sure what happens on subsequent offenses.      

Esteemed Contributor

@San Antonio Gal. I live around Canyon Lake.  If you find out when exactly and where, if it happens to be around here, I'd appreciate a heads-up so I can high tail it to my son's in San Antonio for a bit.  

My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness ~ Dalai Lama XIV

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace ~ Jimi Hendrix
Honored Contributor

Inviting that many people to a wedding in the midst of the pandemic is foolish. He must know that most will not attend but will send money or a gift. Very poor judgement. I would be surprised a reception venue would book for a group that large right now...but am sure they were happy to accept a non refundable deposit!
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

My thoughts are a whole lotta' mixed feelings.

On one hand I'm thinking...'what an optomist'...then I'm thinking..'what an idiot'...again...they must have money to burn...but the other pesky side of my brain says...'these people are(depending on contract) causing a lot of businesses to loose a lot of money...but then I think, 'what business in their right mind would agree to plan (and agree) to provide everything for 450 people in this Covid age of not knowing from one minute to the other'.

Phew!  See what I mean?  If I had to wrap my feelings in a bow...I'd say...stupids must have a way of identifying other stupids.

Woman LOLWoman LOLWoman LOLWoman LOL

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Esteemed Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

March is 6 months away.  Maybe they booked this in hopes that things will be back to normal at that time.  If it's not, unless the venue wants to be in trouble, I'm guessing there will be changes made or a full cancellation.  

I don't see anything wrong with having 450 people at a wedding if that's what they want to do.  It's their wedding and their business.  Perhaps the bride and the groom come from large families and/or are in a business where they know a lot of people.  I had 300 people at my wedding because we both have large extended families. 

I've been to many large weddings, and it never crossed my mind to criticize the bride and groom for having too many people!  As you said, it's their wedding and their business. 

Right now I wouldn't be planning anything large, mostly because of the possible financial loss, but also because of the headaches and stress involved in planning and then very possibly having to un-plan and do it all over again!

But in more normal times, I think 450 is just fine for some couples, just as smaller weddings are fine for others.  

Honored Contributor

Are there a few or more states that permit this type of socializing?  

I keep hearing (from my neighbor in my neighborhood (not next door) about 'this and that' socializing re: her friend in another state, which I won't mention.   Actually two states, two 'friends'. 

I really don't know who to believe anymore.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

My first thought was "450 people...online, right???!"

Honored Contributor

IMO, no way is this virus going to be over by March.  The couple is being very optimistic to think it will be.  I wish them the best of luck.