Honored Contributor

Re: Place to stay during home reno

@PrettyGerl Huh the thought I had that it was not a nursing home just a place where older people who did not want the up keep of a home lived. I surely know its not all about me, I am the most giving and charitable person around. 

@PrettyGerl wrote:

@WRXtoo wrote:

I understand being in an area where options are limited (we're rural here, so I definitely get it), but you would potentially be taking up space that someone's family is desperately looking for for a loved one.  And sometimes that search is very time-sensitive when it's time to move someone with serious needs into a space where they can live securely.

Exactly!! However, those that think or believe it's all about them...can't be bothered to even take a moment to see what they are saying.

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

@I am still oxox wrote:

@PrettyGerl Huh the thought I had that it was not a nursing home just a place where older people who did not want the up keep of a home lived. I surely know its not all about me, I am the most giving and charitable person around. 

@PrettyGerl wrote:

@WRXtoo wrote:

I understand being in an area where options are limited (we're rural here, so I definitely get it), but you would potentially be taking up space that someone's family is desperately looking for for a loved one.  And sometimes that search is very time-sensitive when it's time to move someone with serious needs into a space where they can live securely.

Exactly!! However, those that think or believe it's all about them...can't be bothered to even take a moment to see what they are saying.

What grown person who has lived life does not know what assisted living is?  FYI "Older people who do not want the up keep of a home" as you called it...that's not what assisted living is. Those individuals downsize, or have help come in...on and on.  No one wants to live in an assisted living facility.  Because it means losing or lost independence, unable to live without assistance.  Not a choice.  Maybe educate yourself as to what other people, their families have to go through.

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

200w.gif?cid=6c09b9526kuijy8extcezzxg6xp

Honored Contributor

@Etoile308 wrote:

Have you explored whether they permit short term stays?

Places in my area are for full time residency. Depending on the type of facility, like an independent living, you are locked into a year lease. For assisted living, many places require a "buy in" of several thousands on top of your monthly rent.

More importantly, explore whether they permit people who don't need assisted living. Better yet, just leave it for those who do.

Honored Contributor

@I am still oxox We have a lot of these facilities in my county in WA and I'm sure from what I've read that they don't do short term rentals. I don't know where you got that idea! Look for a long term residence inn or some such.

People pay a LOT of money for the facilities and I doubt you want to shell out many thousands a month even it was possible. 

Respected Contributor

It sounds like a confusion of the terms: Independent Living and Assisted Living. As been well described Assisted Living involves the care of individuals who need assistance with toileting, eating, bathing, taking medications and often mobility such as transferring.

Independent Living centers appeal to seniors in that they have a blend of  "country club" activities, meals, apartment or condo living and the security of knowing that if he/she needs Assisted Living this facility is in the same location. Many say they offer Memory Care and/or Rehab Services. 

I think this topic deserves a thread of its own. As upscale as some of these places seem to be, many have a dark side too. 

Respected Contributor

I thought you would only go to assisted living if you needed help with daily living due to age or ability  not used as a hotel of sorts. Never heard of this use before.

Honored Contributor

I wasn't aware that assisted living operated like hotels.  

Trusted Contributor

Some of you people are such nasty bullies. If you don't want to waste your precious time then get off this discussion. So brave when people can't see you...

Regular Contributor

@turtle52 wrote:

Some of you people are such nasty bullies. If you don't want to waste your precious time then get off this discussion. So brave when people can't see you...

But we want to waste our precious time with this discussion...and you are who telling other posters where they can post??  We didn't start this thread... scold the person who did.